BOQ - Dec 11/10 Report

superdad

The internet forums are a terrific method of meeting new people and getting together to fish. I have been lucky enough to have met Steve-Hamilton a number of years ago and even more fortunate to be able tfish with him on his annual trip to Quinte in December.

This year, he asked me to join him on his final day of his trip. We met at Perfect Vue and headed for the launch ramp. Stopping at the Adolphustown-Glenora ferry to look at the ramp, I spied a penny on the ground and following tradiition - "Find a penny -Pick it up - and you'll have good luck" Yea Right!!!! Who believes in old wives tales :wink:

Arriving at the Pryners launch ramp, all the ice that had been there on Thursday had diappeared and it was clean, Five other boats had launched there - there were boats on the water.

Headed toward the Batcave and set the four lines and began the fishing. After 10 minutes, the outer board went back - not a violent strike - but definitely a fish on. Clearing the inner rod, I was able to bring the fish to the net and we had the first of the day.

1211A_Thefirstone.jpg

Released it and continued trolling. The fishing slowed down as we fished for an hour and half without any action. It was time to try some new water. We headed to a spot closer to the ferry where the fishing was good a few days ago. Made a pass and a turn to avoid the tiny ice floes coming down from the ferry.

Steve felt that another spot on his GPS a short motor away might do the trick. Set the rods and we didn't wait long. At 1340, the lead core rod went off and we were into another fish. This one was a bit bigger.

1211B_Biggerfish.jpg

To shorthen the post I won't try and describe each fish. The fish were on the take. In the next 2 and a half hours, we were lucky to hit another 14 fish. That's not a typo - fourteen more walleyes in varying sizes.

Another good one.

1211C_AnothergoodWalleye.jpg

Steve landed one

1211D_Steveandabeauty.jpg

Steve landed another

1211E_SteveandaMonster.jpg

Superdad lands another

1211F_SuperdadandQuinteWalleye.jpg

As the sun was setting, the fish were still taking and Steve landed the last fish of the day at approx 1630. Tha brought the count to a total for the day of 16 fish. That is the BEST day I have ever experienced on the Bay of Quinte.

Last fish of the day

1211G_Steveandthelastof16.jpg

Talking to others at the launch ramp on our return, it seemed as though everyone had experienced a good day on the water. The day had been spectacular, the weather had been mild(no gloves) and the winds not a bother - have a look at the pictures and you can how calm the water was. A great day fishing.

I think that the soft-water will be over for me and we'll wait til the ice gets much thicker before venturing out.

Stay Tuned

David Delcloo aka Superdad

Nice fish and great report!! Do you (or anyone else) keep the fish out of BOQ to eat or do you consider them too big and possibly over-contaminated?

These very large fish are typically Lake O fish. Couple that with their age and they are not very good table fare, especially when you consider that where you fish, they taste great!!!

I have caught and eaten resident BOQ fish (1-3 pders) and frankly, they don't taste as good as say, a Kawartha fish... kinda muddy tasting.

Add to the equation that these fish are breeding stock, it should be a catch, take a pic fishery.

HH