Cold Weather Putting Carp To Sleep Mode

dsn

I knew this cold weather would sooner or later turn the carp off from feeding.

I started off 8am. It's was -5 degrees out with a North West wind. And that didn't help

much either.

I looked into the water couldn't see anything moving. All was still. Even things that appear

to look like logs, were still as can be. Tossed some corn on top of the grey logs. And waited as the

corn slowly sank into the ice cold water. The logs started moving slowly and I knew if was carp.

Hugging the bottom together trying to stay warm. Then they moved off the

spot I had chummed. 1 hr goes by...nothing. 2hrs go by and still not a cloud of dust.

3 hrs and the clouds slowly depart and the sun,

slowly inches out of the clouds. 4hrs later I see a little movement. 5hrs later and

the sun was shining bright and the carp started moving back into the chummed area

and started slowly feeding bit by bit. 1/2hr later I got a small feeding frenzy going. 4-5 fish

feeding on canned can. And a few hand full of boillies that were soaked in

red wine over 2 days!!biggrin.gif

I finally got them up for beakfast and the battle started.

CIMG_0167.JPG

CIMG_0169.JPG

CIMG_0213.JPG

CIMG_0214.JPG

CIMG_0217.JPG

After a couple of runs they all got spooked. And because I had to chum so much to get them up and

feeding I ran out of corn. Packed my gear and decided to play around with my new digital.

Really sucks to have a new camera and can't find anything to exciting to shot at. Everything around

is dried up dead or dying. So Looked for things to take pics of. Below are a few things I found.

OIMG_0210.JPG

I'm trying to macro shots. Its tough, I'm trying to figure out the closest I can get to a subject

and get it into focus.

PIMG_0185.JPG

PIMG_0205.JPG

PIMG_0207.JPG

When I got home, I thought I'd try getting real close up to my pet frog and see what

happends.

FRG_0186.JPG

FRG_0192.JPG

FRG_0194.JPG

As you can see She's got one big belly !!.

Well that's my report for now.

Unless I can keep the carp feeding ...(Will Still Try !!! See how far I can get them feeding. ) this might be my last carp report til next year.

dsn

I hope it is not your last carp report for the year...

Nothing doing in the Kawarthas carpwise so CPH and I have hung up our equipment for the season and have been chasing other species...

BTW...nice shots of the carp...

Edited by Beans

I hope it is not your last carp report for the year...

Nothing doing in the Kawarthas carpwise so CPH and I have hung up our equipment for the season and have been chasing other species...

BTW...nice shots of the carp...

Will if the water freezes it's going to be tough. The fish will move to deeper water.

It nice to be in the Kawarthas to be able to chase other species for sure until hardwater season.

dsn

Nice report DSN and some good photos there too. Looks like you're really enjoying your new toy. Macro is awesome!

yeah gotta love Macro Shoots. Make us slow down and stop to smell the frogs "in this case."

dsn

I'm trying to macro shots. Its tough, I'm trying to figure out the closest I can get to a subject

and get it into focus.

PIMG_0185.JPG

It looks like you are using the auto focus feature of the cam. Sometimes the cameras aren't smart enough to figure out what you want to focus on and pick the wrong area.

2 ways around it.

If possible, use manual focus to pick exactly what you want to focus on

or,

If you are stuck using auto focus, the trick is to find an object that is the same distance away from the lense as the the object you are trying to shoot. Focus on it by pressing the shutter halfway, keep holding the shutter halfway, then take a pic of the object you want.

If you knew this then forget I said anything. :D

It looks like you are using the auto focus feature of the cam. Sometimes the cameras aren't smart enough to figure out what you want to focus on and pick the wrong area.

2 ways around it.

If possible, use manual focus to pick exactly what you want to focus on

or,

If you are stuck using auto focus, the trick is to find an object that is the same distance away from the lense as the the object you are trying to shoot. Focus on it by pressing the shutter halfway, keep holding the shutter halfway, then take a pic of the object you want.

If you knew this then forget I said anything. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice Raf. I got that trick in my bag too. The manual focus on this camera is weird and slow to respond. So I had to go to Auto. Macro Setting.

dsn