Lake Simcoe Muskellunge Restoration

mattyk

Guest gbfisher

The first attempt was a disaster. Not sure how its going now. It'll be many years before we'll see if it is successful. I'm sure there are some big natural fish in there right now but doubtful it will be in my lifetime that anyone is able to fish for them though.

Of all the time I have put in out there I have seen two.

One in cooks bay. Absolute giant, got it off a 22ft weedline fishing for largies on a 2oz Flippin jig. I was able to lift it close to the boat almost snapping my rod with 80lb braid. When she turned and sliced the line. Best way to describe the colouring was Pink. Paleish with a bright pink hue.

The other was a big tiger muskie who ate a buddies jerk bait off Thorah. Have the pic of that one somewhere.. see if I can find it.

Here's a bit of an overview of the project as of 2008. This was a really good presentation by Jason Borwick, one of the head Biologists running this project...Even if you don't read all of it there are some great photos and charts/graphs. http://www.muskiescanada.ca/lsmrp/2007_LSMRP.pdf

Here's some background on the LSMRP

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/news.php?article_id=7

There continues to be several hundred to a thousand Fingerelings(7-10") stocked every fall. The plan is not to create a put and take fishery like in many US states but to restore the natural self sustaining Muskie population in Simcoe. Muskies Canada is a pardner in this project, if you want to contribute, Join Muskies Canada, or come out to the Muskie Odyssey in St. Catharines this April and spend some money!

Edited by Pigeontroller

Here's a bit of an overview of the project as of 2008. This was a really good presentation by Jason Borwick, one of the head Biologists running this project...Evem if you don't read all of it there are some great photos and charts/graphs. http://www.muskiescanada.ca/lsmrp/2007_LSMRP.pdf

Here's some background on the LSMRP

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/news.php?article_id=7

There continues to be several hundred to a thousand Fingerelings(7-10") stocked every fall. The plan is not to create a put and take fishery like in many US states but to restore the natural self sustaining Muskie population in Simcoe. Muskies Canada is a pardner in this project, if you want to contribute, Join Muskies Canada, or come out to the Muskie Odyssey in St. Catharines this April and spend some money!

Thanks for giving that link. I was a good read. Is there another update coming out soon?

Well, I've got an update, its as fresh as info can be. I was the Torornto MCI meeting last night and we were given a short presentation by Jason Borwick and Brad Allen, the 2 district MNR Biologists that head up the LSMRP.

Last night was pretty much the first night this was made public and I was given the go-ahead to report this here, unfortunately some bad news...I'll start with the positive stuff. I've seen a few presentations by Jason, and again last night he mentioned how good the numbers of successfully stocked Fingerlings were the last few years, particularly in 2007 and 2008. The reason for stocking Fall Fingerlings(7-10") is that if they were any smaller they would be much more suseptible to predation.

In 2007, 1600 Fingerlings were stocked, in 2008, 1800 Fingerlings were stocked. Last year wasn't nearly as good in that they lost 5 families at the hatchery(a family is the off spring from 2 fish(1 male and 1 female) so thats a significant number of eggs/little fish. 21 Fingerlings were stocked, and then 80 yearlings went into the lake that were approx. 12-14"(much higher survival rate)

So it been a pretty successful 3 years. 2010 started off great, the hatchery was full after a real successful egg collection in the spring, the fry converted to live feed well(this is a crucial step with raising Muskie) Last week there were approx. 850 Fingerling ready to go to their new home, a bacteria was found, which led to further testing and it was discovered that most or all the fingerling were infected with Lymphosarcoma. After much consideration it was decided to not risk the healthy and successful past stockings with these fish.

So, here are some facts I wrote down, this is new ground for the biologists involved, prior thinking was that Lympho. was transmitted horizontally(through skin contact, like while spawning) this incident has shown it can be transmitted vertically(passed on genetically) Jason said last night that they are pretty much throwing out the book on Lympho and starting a new one!

-Lymphosarcoma is a retro virus, only Muskie and Pike get it, there are other types that can infect other species of fish.

-Its not treatable, sometimes fatal.

-They have no reason to believe past fish stocked were infected

Lymphosarcoma is present in the Kawarthas and Simcoe. Still the population of Simcoe is considered small and of course still fragile so they do not want to add these fish. They will be used for research and hopefully help scientists better understand this disease.

Edited by Pigeontroller

Well, I've got an update, its as fresh as info can be. I was the Torornto MCI meeting last night and we were given a short presentation by Jason Borwick and Brad Allen, the 2 district MNR Biologists that head up the LSMRP.

...it was discovered that most or all the fingerling were infected with Lymphosarcoma. After much consideration it was decided to not risk the healthy and successful past stockings with these fish.

prior thinking was that Lympho. was transmitted horizontally(through skin contact, like while spawning) this incident has shown it can be transmitted vertically(passed on genetically)

Lymphosarcoma is present in the Kawarthas and Simcoe.

With continued effort some muskies will establish themselves in Simcoe.

As an aside a decade ago caught many Kawartha musky with Lymphosarcoma, the last few years haven't seen any.

It was on Quinte walleye as well but wouldn't know if it is still on them.