Chromeage

daryl0815

I went out yesterday at around noon for a couple of hours to try to get my first Rainbow of the fall down at a local creek, I haven't really been out too much lately, so I saw the opportunity and ran with it. As I walked up to the creek I remembered last fall when I met MJL for the first time at this exact spot and talked for a long time about fishing and OFC, I wondered how he was doing, and hoped that he was alright.

The weather was a little chilly, with the wind being the main problem, it kept gusting, pulling my slack line and messing up my drifts.

I started out with Roe that I had just tied up, both under a float and then bottom bouncing, without any luck, went on for about an hour and a half of washing roe bags in the current.

A couple of people came down to the hole and started fishing beside me, usually I dont really like it when people invade my fishing spot, but these people had respect, fished downstream of me and we didnt cross lines or get tangled once. They left about a half an hour after they got there.

I switched to a wooly bugger, and again, nothing after about half an hour, so I switched to a red small power worm.

On my third drift my float went under quickly, I set the hook thinking it must be bottom again (the stretch of creek is famous for shopping carts...).

I connected with something which I momentarily thought was a snag, it didnt really move much, and then I started to feel the head shakes, and the fish slowly coming up from the deep hole. I saw the fishes greenish grey back and pink chrome sides as it thrashed its head on the surface a few times before retreating back to the depths and out of sight. About 15 minutes of a fairly sluggish fight ensued, until I tried to get him up close to shore and he peeled off about 30 feet of line, thats the kind of fight that I was expecting! A couple more decent runs and I had beached him in the shallow rapids behind the pool, taken the hook out (it was hooked very lightly) and taken my camera out for a quick pic, I would have liked to have gotten a couple pics holding the fish, but I was fishing alone. He ended up being about 6-7 lbs with nice colours and a small kipe forming.

FallBow.jpg

A quick revival in the current and he swam away really strong.

I was glad that the day didnt end in a skunking, because I had to go shortly, and it wasnt looking quite so good for a while there!

Nice fish Daryl :thumbsup_anim:

I remember that day last fall. You caught a pretty little brownie from that same pool if I remember correctly. I actually haven't fished that river at all this year but I'm tempted to return when I can move a lot better.

Nice fish Daryl thumbsup_anim.gif

I remember that day last fall. You caught a pretty little brownie from that same pool if I remember correctly. I actually haven't fished that river at all this year but I'm tempted to return when I can move a lot better.

I remember catching that little guy, big Browns seem few and far between for me lately, but I have caught nice sized Lakers down there too, late in the season, a couple of years ago.

Let me know when you are able, we could meet up for some late season Steelhead, there is another place that I have done well at late in the season too if you are better before December 31st!

Take care

Daryl