Cormorants!

cwpowell

Come on. If I could stop people from starting forest fires I would, and if there was a rainforest in Canada, I would do whatever it takes to protect it.

These cormorants are directly harming our eco system as far as I am concerned and I want them dealt with.

As a fisherman, cormorants are at the top of the list as a problem that is not being addressed.

I didn't take it personal at all. I'm just like you, very passionate in what I believe it.

Death to the Cormorants!!!

Plenty of rainforest in canada... take a look in BC. Get your chains and find big tree to save.

Maples, I love the syrup.

And what classifies as being 'over run'? If cormorants had always been around here in the numbers they are now it would be considered normal. The fact is that the current range expansion is a natural event, species expand and contract their ranges all the time as environmental conditions change. And if you read my article carefully you would understand that I do not say that we should do nothing, but what I believe we should not do is a knee-jerk reaction. It should be obvious to anyone that something has changed to allow them to expand, so let's find out what it is. If we find out that they are chomping down on round gobies and the fry of asian carp, would you then still feel like exterminating them? And when P E T A comes calling, as they surely will, we may find ourselves fighting on three fronts - cormorants, P E T A, and public opinion.

So if we follow you're logic we should also protect the common rats... :whistling:

Guest Johnny Bass

Plenty of rainforest in canada... take a look in BC. Get your chains and find big tree to save.

Well B.C. is a bit too far for me. Its like if they had a cormorant problem, its up to the locals, not me to stop it. Here in Ontario, I am local. And cormorants are a local nuisance.

Guest Johnny Bass

And there are no benefits to having thousands of chipmunks, or garter snakes, or trilliums, or yellow warblers. What's your point?

Chipmunks are eco friendly and so are snakes. They consume rodents. Cormorants are destroying trees and gorging on fish fry.

What the heck is it with all these people wanting to protect cormorants, I dont know!

Edited by Johnny Bass

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/wildlife/factsheets/fs_cormorants-e.html

Bob posted this on page 1 of this thread.Did anyone actually read it.It states that cormorant populations in the great lakes has been declining steadily in recent years. Here is an excerpt.

"In recent years, the explosive growth of the cormorant population has definitely slowed. The largest colony on the Great Lakes, at Little Galloo Island in Lake Ontario, showed a 31% decrease in numbers of breeding pairs between 1992 and 1994. In 1994, the cormorant population of Lake Ontario decreased by 6%. This was the first such decline in over 15 years. In 1992, Newcastle Disease Virus killed up to 30% of the young cormorants in several colonies. These population declines and disease outbreaks are signs that other factors are starting to have an impact on the population. Thus it seems unlikely that the cormorant population will continue to grow as it has during the 1980s and early 1990s.

According to fisheries biologists, stocks of the smaller prey fish have been decreasing dramatically in recent years. This decrease in the cormorants' food supply is probably already contributing to their decline on Lake Ontario."

Its a long read but if you are going to argue for the death of a species, then read a little on it first.

Chipmunks are eco friendly is my new favorite line. An Eco system is based on the fact that the animals would be Eco neutral. Fluctuations should not be met with knee jerk reactions. It will all even out in the end. Or it might not. 99.9 percent of all animals that have inhabited this earth are now extinct. Evolution is carrying us on it's back. Roll with it.

Anyway.. i am just gonna stop posting on this thread..

I want to comment on that...instead I'll keep my trap shut so as I don't offend the one who posted it.

But I will say that if the gov. introduces an all you can kill limit on cormies I'll be the first in line for a gun permit and a hunting licence.

Death to the black winged flying devils!! :thumbsup_anim::good: