Trolling Motor 12 V / 24v Help!!

baironhorse

Can spare a couple of minutes of your time to see if maybe you can help me out? If so here is my question:

I have an oppertunity to pick up a MG Brute 56 lb thrust electric trolling motor 42" shaft 12 V/ 24V...I run a 12 V system..My questions:

Is this too much Thrust for a 16ft?

Also will there be limitations to running a 12v system as I do not have enough room on my boat to hook up a 24v system?

By running on 12v system will I get the most trust out of 56lb or will I just be getting less similar to my current 36lb?

My current MG 36lb works great but its better to have more than less! Let me know what you think if you can. Much appreciated

Can spare a couple of minutes of your time to see if maybe you can help me out? If so here is my question:

I have an oppertunity to pick up a MG Brute 56 lb thrust electric trolling motor 42" shaft 12 V/ 24V...I run a 12 V system..My questions:

Is this too much Thrust for a 16ft? No!

Also will there be limitations to running a 12v system as I do not have enough room on my boat to hook up a 24v system? No just less runtime on a 12V vs 24V

By running on 12v system will I get the most trust out of 56lb or will I just be getting less similar to my current 36lb? You will get full thrust until your battery dies just like your 36lb.

My current MG 36lb works great but its better to have more than less! Let me know what you think if you can. Much appreciated

The 12/24 volt motor is different in this manner.

Think of it like this Current and Voltage are not the same thing. Think of voltage as the rate of flow in terms of speed. Current is the power behind the flow.

Say a Mack truck is moving at 5 mph and it hits your car...disaster

If a bicycle hits your car at 5 mph..then there is a scratch. Thats the difference between current and voltage.

The 12 volt systems have less torque so weeds and friction will cause more of a load which equals higher amp draw and shorter battery life. With the 24 volt system the torque is more and the amp load drops back so the life is extended. I have found that my bass boat on the 12 volt circuit was poor at best but it is a heavy boat and the motor was worn quite a bit. I rewired the boat and installed a 24 volt motor and it will go thru thick weeds and I can fish electric only lakes all day without a power loss. You also want to check to make sure it is a 12/24 volt motor also since a 24 volt motor will not run as a 12 volt circuit. With this said the only gain will be from the larger motors thrust but a shorter run time on the battery you are using.

Art

THe unit is a Moto Guide 756 Brute 56 lb thrust electric trolling motor shaft 12 V/ 24V

The 12/24 volt motor is different in this manner.

Think of it like this Current and Voltage are not the same thing. Think of voltage as the rate of flow in terms of speed. Current is the power behind the flow.

Say a Mack truck is moving at 5 mph and it hits your car...disaster

If a bicycle hits your car at 5 mph..then there is a scratch. Thats the difference between current and voltage.

The 12 volt systems have less torque so weeds and friction will cause more of a load which equals higher amp draw and shorter battery life. With the 24 volt system the torque is more and the amp load drops back so the life is extended. I have found that my bass boat on the 12 volt circuit was poor at best but it is a heavy boat and the motor was worn quite a bit. I rewired the boat and installed a 24 volt motor and it will go thru thick weeds and I can fish electric only lakes all day without a power loss. You also want to check to make sure it is a 12/24 volt motor also since a 24 volt motor will not run as a 12 volt circuit. With this said the only gain will be from the larger motors thrust but a shorter run time on the battery you are using.

Art

If the price is right upgrade. You will not regret upgrading to a 56lb thrust for a 16ft boat. This will now allow you to have even more control of your boat and in essence use less power. As you probably notice now your at almost full speed the majority of the time. This will allow you to use less thrust and conserve a bit more battery life. Plus if you fish weeds or windy days you aren't blown around as much compared to your current 36lb

Come on, you're a plumber!

Amps = flow rate

Voltage = pressure drop

:P

No I stated it correct

12 volts is the amount of flow: like a 1/2 inch pipe will only flow x gallons. If the voltage/ pipe is 10 times higher/ larger then it will flow 120 volts or 10 times the flow.

Amps is a measurement of how hard the electrons are working. You can have 12 volts working at 10 amps or 120 volts working at 1 amp both are the force flowing thru the "pipe aka path" to do the job it is being consumed for. You can have 10,000 volts but with out any amps consumed you have no flow.

Voltage without resistance will remain a constant in a perfect circuit you would have no voltage drop if the supply is not overwhelmed by the demand.

It's kind of hard to mix plumbing terms and apply them to electricity since both are entirely different animals. The logic that I follow comes from electrical circuits we use in Pumps controls and HVAC equipment they use the same rules just not as basic as a trolling motor.

Art

Nope your not being rude. I have a good grasp on electronics and trouble shoot sewage reprocessing plant controls as part of my job. I have a clear picture in my head but I have failed to give an analogy that makes it clear to someone else. For that I have failed and hope that someday I will replace Google as your mentor.

Art

It seems you would prefer to hear you are right and I am wrong.So here you go " You are right I am wrong" are we better now or would you like to continue detracting from the original thread???.If we are going to talk theory of electrical circuits then we would first have to clarify our definitions and it appears I can't do that to your satisfaction. I am not going to continue an argument on who can use Google to prove their point the best. If this truly matters to you feel free to P.M. me and we can eventually decide that we both are right and promise to have a beer in the future.

Art

Wow - this got pretty technical.

More pound thrust is always a good thing.

56 lb is still low for a 16 footer IMO.

Running that unit in 12v mode would be a step up from what u have.

You could rewire with 6 gauge wire from Home depot and go 24v or u can just hook up two batteries in a parallel circuit to get more operating time in 12v mode

Landry

I went over kill on wire so i have 4 guage instead of 6awg....problem with 24v I don't have space to add another battery under my deck...I may get away in future with two Optima's as they are smaller in size or sacrafice with 2 24class batteries.i will have to measure but it will be tight....right now I have a 27class interstate for TM and one 24class cranking and electronics....with gas tank in the mix don't have much real estate...I could get away with my 36lb but when windy or weeds I have to run it on 5 max....I think I could get a good deal on the unit and since its a motor guide the mounting is the same as my 36lb just interchange shaft and go!....just on the fence still as my 36 will run me all day struggle a bit but do the job...not sure how far the 56lb will get me without juicing battery off a 12v system...not much experience this way...that is why I come to you dudes!

Wow - this got pretty technical.

More pound thrust is always a good thing.

56 lb is still low for a 16 footer IMO.

Running that unit in 12v mode would be a step up from what u have.

You could rewire with 6 gauge wire from Home depot and go 24v or u can just hook up two batteries in a parallel circuit to get more operating time in 12v mode

Landry