A crappie laid an egg in the sink

Kwan

Just cautioning you and hope a mod removes this thread once you've read it. Read the Ontario Fishing regs... you cannot transport live fish, other than bait, unless you have a licence to do so (and very few do.. only one I know of on OFC, out of thousands of people, that has a licence is Dave Chong)

Agreed. Heed Waynes' advice... it is illegal to transport live fish unless you are licensed to do so. I am not saying this to be a bummer or bash you in any manner... we are looking out for you're best interests. We do have Co's that visit this site... the MNR visit this site... it is a interesting report, and while I hate to be PC... it is in you're best interest to remove the pictures.. and better for root admin to lock/remove this post as the OP is a great contributing member.

G.

This is something that I absolutely did not know

edit to add: thanks- if i ever got inspected for my catch I guess I would be in a heap of trouble for keeping the air pump running in the cooler

Edited by Kwan

OFC is a great tool. Good to know you learned something today. that is the reason this site is SO important. Perhaps now you can affect change as well, by informing others. I hate to say this but had you of read the regs you SHOULD of known this.. As it is written plain as day. Wayne just saved you alot of $$ and possibly you`re vehicle, boat and tackle... if you were to be caught! Please grab a copy of the regs, read them and pass it on!

we are all stewards of the resource, it is up to us to affect and effect change.

have a great night and happy halloween!

G.

Guest Johnny Bass

Don't worry about it Kwan. I didn't know either. I keep my fish on a stringer, or sometimes in my livewell to keep them fresh, and sometimes they are alive when I get home. Especially, the catfish and bowfin. I think this law is so that people don't take live fish and put them in other lakes, where they may destroy the eco system of the lake.

Anyways, thanks for the report and we both learned something today.

Walleye, crappie, perch and bass are always dead when they leave the lake, but I have had catfish make it home alive (cut gills and on ice)....sometimes you cant kill those things!

[/quote

What about transporting live fish to a derby weigh in? The Grand River Bass derby requires you to transport your catch live from as far away as Paris to the derby headquarters in Kitchener. Is this legal?

This is something that I absolutely did not know

edit to add: thanks- if i ever got inspected for my catch I guess I would be in a heap of trouble for keeping the air pump running in the cooler

You sure would, Kwan. Wayne is just trying to be helpful and pass on some important info. Last year I made the same mistake, wasn't even thinking about it. Had a dozen or so perch in my livewell, and, drove home with them...still alive. I got home, started unhooking everything, went to get them...looked over at my better half, and, said "oh, crap, you know I just broke the law". It dawned on me as soon as I got home...first and last time I made that mistake.

Those are some really nice crappies and walleyes you are catching. Sometimes that "night shift" really pays off! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by FRANKIE65

if the tourney notifies the MNR, I am sure they have a permit

but transporting live fish home to eat is not high on the MNRs hit list

chances are you will not be fined

but be heading in the wrong direction and they will be all over you

Ok, this shouldn't even be an issue... Kwan caught the fish, and brought it home to consume it, not raise it in a fish tank. Who hasn't brought home a cooler with perch and ice to find that they are still alive when they are in the sink?

Do you really think a CO will do anything about this??? I personally respect the law however this a "grey area" where no one will be prosecuted if found with live fish packed in ice for transportation. If the fish was being housed in water with an aerator, that would be grounds for an legit charge based on the outlined rules for transporting live fish.

Jesus Christ people on this board need to grow some walnuts, and not be so conservative.

true. but i think mr.kwan mention about a air pump and a cooler full of water.

the intent was to keep them as fresh as they could be but other might think it for something else.

he just asked a simple question and was given back feed back.

keep them alive until u are ready to take home.

cheers

tooddd

Guest gbfisher

There are lots of ambiguous regs which leave you open to charges. It's sad to think you have to defend yourself in a court system for such crap. Everyone should be able to know their rights on the water and feel comfortable knowing that what they are doing is right.

Edited by gbfisher

The law all comes down to intent, if you have a stringer of walleye floping in your trunk or cooler a CO is not going to bust you for transporting live fish. However if you have the same walleye in a cooler filled with water and perhaps an airator your intent is to transport these fish alive and this would be grounds for an infraction.

Guest gbfisher

The law all comes down to intent, if you have a stringer of walleye floping in your trunk or cooler a CO is not going to bust you for transporting live fish. However if you have the same walleye in a cooler filled with water and perhaps an airator your intent is to transport these fish alive and this would be grounds for an infraction.

I love the assumption. :D ...Fact is that they can charge you if they want.

I love the assumption. :D ...Fact is that they can charge you if they want.

It's not an assumption,to prove your intending to transport fish alive the CO is going to need evidence that this was the intent, a few fish floping in a cooler will not provide adequate evidence to prove your intent is to break the law.However if you have adequate things to keep these fish alive while transporting then those would be seized and provide evidence that your intent was to transport live fish. Any judge in Ontario would throw the CO out of his court room if he said I saw a fish flop in a cooler so I busted the guy for transporting live fish, and any lawyer worth a grain of salt would have a field day with this CO

Guest gbfisher

It's not an assumption,to prove your intending to transport fish alive the CO is going to need evidence that this was the intent, a few fish floping in a cooler will not provide adequate evidence to prove your intent is to break the law.However if you have adequate things to keep these fish alive while transporting then those would be seized and provide evidence that your intent was to transport live fish. Any judge in Ontario would throw the CO out of his court room if he said I saw a fish flop in a cooler so I busted the guy for transporting live fish, and any lawyer worth a grain of salt would have a field day with this CO

Live fish are live fish. You have to prove yourself in the court system. The officer could care less what you have to say. It's the sad truth of it really.

Here's an example for you that happened to someone I know last year. He was checked by the mnr. They looked in his live well that was empty. They found a somewhat live Goby in it that a pickerel had puked up.

He was fined for having a live Goby in his possession.

You would have assumed differently but the sad reality of it is that they can and will charge you if they see fit.

Edited by gbfisher