Fall Pike techniques

fishinguypat

Wow nice replies guys if you remember FGP hasn't been fishing very long and his ? are valid and don't deserve the flame jobs everytime he posts I guess you guys were born experts and never had to ask a ? about fishing before if you don't want to help just don't bother replying it's that simple keep your useless comments to yourself.

FGP I wouldn't suggest using sucker minnows unless you are using a quick strike rig (google it I can't explain it well enough) I would suggest large jigs like the hollow belly swimbaits from berkley on a large jig head or some 5" fluke type baits on jigs pike tend to be deep this time of year but don't be scared to try shallower with spinnerbaits and bucktails on warm sunny days I would also put the title of this thread into a google search prolly a tonne of articles about this subject out there.

Guest Manitoubass

I am going fishing on a local lake for pike, what are some good techniques for fishing from shore for pike? or some good rigs for still fishing with sucker minnow

Depends on what the lake is like I suppose, but lots of basic rigs are great for fall pike fishing.

White spinnerbaits, grubs/jigs, swim jigs with assorted trailers all work very well.

As for retrieves, depends on the structure/depth etc.

I'd try casting out far, let you line hit bottom, then use a jig like retrieve, trying different speeds etc. A fast retrieve often works well.

Firstly, SRT8 no need to get your knickers in a knot, no-one's flaming anyone, it was a joke :)

Pat, I was reading this http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47873 and then your thread popped up.

As you don't say where you're going (understandably), your best bet would be to stop at a local tackle shop and ask a few question and pick up some bits and bobs, they'll probably be able to steer you in the right direction on tactics and spots on the lake itself. If there isn't a tackle shop nearby then I'd look for cover and fish anything you have that looks like a baitfish near it. You might want to think about some tough leader material to avoid bite-offs - I use Cortland Toothy Critter which is wire that can be tied like normal line although some folks swear by using thicker mono.

My my, eager beaver, yah?!?!

Try to do some prospecting with a Mepps #5... It's a great lure to cover water, because you can slow roll it close to bottom or burn it closer to the surface.

Keep in mind that pike's peripherals are different from those of a walleye or trout.. Pike have eyes on the tops of their heads, so they'll most likely key in to a bait that is presented in front or above them.

Once you know that the fish are on the feed and have risen from the depths, cast out a jerk bait like an Husky Jerk or X-Rap.

Good luck!

Edited by Highdrifter

Nice, thanks for the tips. I can't seem to sort out the types of minnows that are sold- maybe gotta ask the tackle shop owner. I was fishing perch off the dock at Bewdley and, it appeared, the Perch were attacking the minnow to keep them off their beds- and not one perch ate the minnow to my ultimate surprise. Once the minnow was dead or no longer swimming around, the perch left it alone altogether. On top of this, the local shop I got large minnows from last time give me an assortment of species dunno.gif .

For pike, I would love to have them hammer spinners/spinnerbaits/jigs, but I havent had tremendous success with them. Correct me if I am wrong- but Pike seem to be still-fishers themself, and it might be more worthwhile to work the weedbeds and bring it to the fish instead of waiting to let the pike come and get it. I'm sure if you piss off a pike by dragging something across its face a few times it'll bite.

My best guess is suspending a large sucker on a slip float just off the bottom for the best rig. Check out the other thread about rigging the minnow by going through the bottom lip, out the gill shaft, and back through the minnow's back to ensure no bait stealage and u can use a bigger hook.

What do you guys think?

Nice, thanks for the tips. I can't seem to sort out the types of minnows that are sold- maybe gotta ask the tackle shop owner. I was fishing perch off the dock at Bewdley and, it appeared, the Perch were attacking the minnow to keep them off their beds- and not one perch ate the minnow to my ultimate surprise. Once the minnow was dead or no longer swimming around, the perch left it alone altogether. On top of this, the local shop I got large minnows from last time give me an assortment of species dunno.gif .

For pike, I would love to have them hammer spinners/spinnerbaits/jigs, but I havent had tremendous success with them. Correct me if I am wrong- but Pike seem to be still-fishers themself, and it might be more worthwhile to work the weedbeds and bring it to the fish instead of waiting to let the pike come and get it. I'm sure if you piss off a pike by dragging something across its face a few times it'll bite.

My best guess is suspending a large sucker on a slip float just off the bottom for the best rig. Check out the other thread about rigging the minnow by going through the bottom lip, out the gill shaft, and back through the minnow's back to ensure no bait stealage and u can use a bigger hook.

What do you guys think?

To catch active pike I found it productive to RIP the lure FAST through the water rather than dragging sit slowly. In weeded areas use a big ol' spoon and rip it across the top of the weeds. Pike are masters at lurking and shooting out to get a bait. I've seen them jump a foot out of the water when attacking a bait. Mepps and other spinners work great for this application. The other option when fishing weeds for pike is to "dance" a softbait in and out of the openings in the weed bed. You'll also get nice suprises like walleye and bass working the soft bait in this manner.

A suspended minnow under a float, quick strike or slowly sinking to the bottom also works, but would be more or a tactic to use around structure like rocks, shoals or open water in my opinion.

Try giving you're lures some extra speed when you around the weeds, I've found subtlety doesn't always help when pike fishing.

Wow nice replies guys if you remember FGP hasn't been fishing very long and his ? are valid and don't deserve the flame jobs everytime he posts I guess you guys were born experts and never had to ask a ? about fishing before if you don't want to help just don't bother replying it's that simple keep your useless comments to yourself.

FGP I wouldn't suggest using sucker minnows unless you are using a quick strike rig (google it I can't explain it well enough) I would suggest large jigs like the hollow belly swimbaits from berkley on a large jig head or some 5" fluke type baits on jigs pike tend to be deep this time of year but don't be scared to try shallower with spinnerbaits and bucktails on warm sunny days I would also put the title of this thread into a google search prolly a tonne of articles about this subject out there.

clapping.gif ya baby. well said.

Firstly, SRT8 no need to get your knickers in a knot, no-one's flaming anyone, it was a joke :)Pat, I was reading this http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47873 and then your thread popped up.As you don't say where you're going (understandably), your best bet would be to stop at a local tackle shop and ask a few question and pick up some bits and bobs, they'll probably be able to steer you in the right direction on tactics and spots on the lake itself. If there isn't a tackle shop nearby then I'd look for cover and fish anything you have that looks like a baitfish near it. You might want to think about some tough leader material to avoid bite-offs - I use Cortland Toothy Critter which is wire that can be tied like normal line although some folks swear by using thicker mono.

No knickers in a knot here I just was reading the smart :asshat: comments in the fisher12 thread and read this after and saw no humor in it, just a smart azz comment. it's bad enough the greif we as sportsman/women get from the tree huggers we don't need to treat each other badly on our own discussion boards. if your gonna be a joker than put a bunch of emoticons in to make it clear that your joking to many guys are jumping on these threads that ask ?'s and it's really as simple as just don't answer if you don't want to. this is what the board is for to learn about fishing and give reports/advice about fishing .Everyone likes a good laugh but lets not discurage our members that are new to fishing from asking ?'s and learning more about our sport. I am quite certain that was not your intent but I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought it was rude not knowing it was meant as a joke .

:clapping: