Need opinions on buying a compound bow

nroadrunner

Not fishing related but I see many of the members are also hunters. I have been debating buying a compound for 5 years, since I shot one in a 3D range on manitoulin Island. My wife has finally convinced me to buy one ( I hate spending money on myself, makes me feel guilty even though I can afford the bow). So I amlooking for some input to go along with my research. I am looking at something from PSE either Brute or Bow madness, also like the redhead toxic, and the hoyt maxxiss 31. Looking for a 50# to 60# draw weight. Looking to spend $400- $800 out the door

Thanks for the info

Ian

I use Hoyt bows and love them. PSE make a nice bows, quality is pretty good and they shoot nice, quiet and smooth. Stay away from the Readhead, they use to be made Hoyt but now they are just base bows made by Diamond. The Readheads are not fun to shoot, others might like them but personally....... Are you going to buy a package deal? Whatever you go with remember patience. Just a tip, make sure you get the correct draw length and a draw weight your comfortable with. You'll have a blast.

Edited by DanielM

Cant go wrong with Hoyt there the best.. I shoot a hoyt AlphaMax and its crazy good, but expensive.

Go to a good place and they will leyt you shoot a bunch, I spent 4 hours in Gagnons before I decided. Have it setup by an expierenced person and you cant go wrong.

Longer compunds are more forgiving but not as easy to manouver.

Pick what feels the best. Diamond makes a nice bow. if you know what you want look for a used one, lots of guys trade them in yearly!

What am I saying I missed a 20 yard shot tonight!!!!!!!!!!

Cant go wrong with Hoyt there the best.. I shoot a hoyt AlphaMax and its crazy good, but expensive.

Go to a good place and they will leyt you shoot a bunch, I spent 4 hours in Gagnons before I decided. Have it setup by an expierenced person and you cant go wrong.

Longer compunds are more forgiving but not as easy to manouver.

Pick what feels the best. Diamond makes a nice bow. if you know what you want look for a used one, lots of guys trade them in yearly!

What am I saying I missed a 20 yard shot tonight!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with everything that buctail just said, except for the Hoyt the best part :wallbash: :wallbash: . everyone knows that PSE is the best..i shoot the PSe xforce and love it...I had it set up professionally for 70lbs and i am in love with it...however, shoot many different kinds if you can, you will only know whats best for you after you shoot them...there are lot to use, that being said my dad has a Mathews and loves it

If you'r wife wants you to spend a little money on yourself, then have a look at one of these.

http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/carbon+matrix+plus

I just bought a Bear, and am loving it. However, it's my first compound, so I nothing to compare it too.

Picked it up in mint condition with lots of extras at a pawn shop for $300.. Set up almost perfectly for me.

Good luck with your search. You'l love bow hunting!

Owned a Browning, Hoyt and PSE. So far the PSE is my fav. Altough, the browning was a great bow for the money. I would take the advice of heading south of the border to get a better deal. If you choose other wise, the gents at Gagnons can set you up nicely!

These days there are tons of great bows, the problem isn't selecting the manufacturer, just selecting the right bow for you. The link below will take you to the most informative and interesting site I've ever located on bow selection. Even the most seasoned hunter can learn from this site, but I will add one additional comment. Are you left or right eye dominent? I suggest if you are left eye dominent to consider shooting left-handed. I'm 58 and 2 years ago switched after years of shooting right-handed. I'm shooting better now than I ever did right handed. I've now killed bucks both left and right handed. Anyhow, here's the link below. Enjoy.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#Intro

ps remember, it's much better to select a draw length a little short than one too long

Edited by doubleheader

Thanks for the info guys and yes I am lefthanded when shooting a bow. I think maybe a trip to the Wolf's Den in Barrie is in order only an hour away and I have heard good things about their service. Anyhting would be better than my 1 and only trip to BassPro this summer..... Long story but never again is all I will say.

Ian

not sure where baysville is but if your near peterborough stop by saugeen shafts and ask for tim he is a pro shoter for mathews which are the best bows he is a hunter and compitition shooter and nows his stuff. He will help you set it all up they hae a indoor range he sells all brands. Back when i was competing he was the only guy i would touch my bows

Wolf's Den is a good place to start. They deal with most manufacturers (PSE, HOYT, Mathews, Bowtech etc) and will let you shoot them on site. They also have package deals and 2nd hand bows. Just take your time with choosing the right one for you. The best bow is the one YOU can shoot accurately with.

Hoyts are great bows. I've shot one for the last few years. This year I just bought a Bowtech Guardian and absolutely love it. I would advise testing out a few different bows from the shop find one that suits you, and then buy it online in the States. You'll be surprised how much you'll save.