Fall Bass Fishing

Toddyc20

Hey all. I'm going to be heading out for a few bass fishing excursions in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone could provide some tips. I've never fished for bass this late in the year. How deep are they this time of year? Is a fast (spinnerbait/crankbait) or slow (plastics/jigs) they better way to go. I'm not looking for numbers at all i'm just looking for that one big fish.

Thanks for the anticipated help.

That's a really complicated question since it depends on what body of water you're fishing and the weather conditions. There is no single solution, but I would imagine that they'll get shallower at this time of the year.

Where are u going and are u targeting largies or smallies?

I'm heading to Eugenia this coming weekend so lets start with there. My target will be largemouth but would not turn my nose up to some smallies either. Most of my luck in the past on Eugenia has been in 8-12 feet of water, drifting through the weed beds. I would imagine finding green weeds at this time of year would be very difficult. Is 8-12 feet a good starting point or should I look shallower/deeper?

Tubes, Flip'n Jigs & Senkos would be a great start for Lmbass or Smallies, last week we were getting them on a local lake in 6" to 2' of water late in the evening on Spinnerbaits & Buzzbaits, on Quinte at the CBAF Fed Cup last weekend Smallies on a Tube Jig & Drop shot worked great & Texas Rigged Tube, Senko, Flip'n Jig & Spinnerbaits worked, I'm an hour away from Eugenia but haven't been there in a while hopefully get there soon

Best of luck to ya Richard

let us know how you make out

I'd be looking for bait. Bait will be relating to cover, underwater points, and any remaining GREEN weeds/pads. Reaction baits like cranks and jerkbaits will be key if you find schooling bass chasing bait. Cold water will mean slowing down your presentation, especially with the jerkbait. Long pauses! If you find weeds, throw down a jig and let it sit (easier said than done for most).

I was fishing a river system last Sunday and I caught largemouth on the outside weed edge in 7-9 fow on senkos. The water temp. was 63 deg. calm wind. Then last Thrusday I was on Erie and I caught some smallmouth on a crankbait in 10-12 fow. Again the temp. was 64.3 deg. and the wind was calm. I think if the temp of the water is in the high 50's to low 60's you can still get some fish shallow. Let us know how you make out.

Guest Johnny Bass

I'm heading to Eugenia this coming weekend so lets start with there. My target will be largemouth but would not turn my nose up to some smallies either. Most of my luck in the past on Eugenia has been in 8-12 feet of water, drifting through the weed beds. I would imagine finding green weeds at this time of year would be very difficult. Is 8-12 feet a good starting point or should I look shallower/deeper?

Like was said. Depends on the water.Largies will be in around 8-12FOW I find 10 being the magic number. Smallies will be much deeper,unless you work river mouths/bays(spring patterns).