Stony Lake bass

Kwan

I am dead tired after fishing Stony once again for smallies and, maybe I'll get a largie once in a while after watching Steve manipulate them with senkos and dropshots.... We got on the water at 7:30ish, and worked a few docks along the shore for maybe 15 minutes.. drove right past a sunken tree lol... good thing I noticed it later, I'll definately fish it in the future. Anyway, about 9 am something thumps my tube and I got one on... All I could think about was that im on 6 lb test and the practise I got with on Couch last week... I yank its head up and it surfaces twice, so I got it close to the boat pretty quick before it blasts off clearing the water clean. a few dives under the boat, and we manage it safely in the net. it got blood on its mouth from the hookset... those Mr Twister jig head hooks are really thick- I guess i shouldn't use them if its gonna damage the fish....

DSC00016.jpg?t=1286079226

it showed up just about 3 from reading the spring loaded scale. what a fight

Moving on, we hit a dock where I applied 100% what I learned from Steve last week- get that thing next to the dock, leave it slack for at least 5 seconds, then check if its there. well, i got no idea how to check it without setting the hook blind, because when i lift the rod, if its there, its useless- the bass spits it out right when i lift to check it out! i think you are supposed to use your fingers to check if somethings on the other end but man its difficult. Anyhow, a 1 lb largie was on, and I lazily dangled it half way out off the side of the boat where it shook itself off- lucky for him, he escaped the steamer.

The next few hours was slow for me to say the least, but for Jay who has not been catching bass lately was getting bites consistantly with a senko. Here I am holding his catch for the day

DSC00035.jpg?t=1286080116

and a few more pics to go

DSC00032.jpg?t=1286080228

largie from out of 1 foot of water, apparently popped his head out and looked at him. Jay fed him a juicy garlic senko.

now when can get those 3-5 lbers to casually pop their heads out at us to be friends... biggrin.gif

Moving on, we hit a dock where I applied 100% what I learned from Steve last week-

You had a good day on Stoney Kwan, and if your looking to learn about bass fishing, Steve is definetely the man to learn from.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report! That first one is a nice smallie! Its a respectable size for stony. Dont worry about harming the fish with those mister twister jig heads. I use alot thicker hooks and have no problem. They will heal, so fish away!

You'll get the feel of it Kwan. The first thing is to watch your line. If its moving? There is a fish on. Second, make sure you have a decent rod that has good sensitivity. Many people like to fish braid with a floro leader for that added sensitivity.

I have a feeling you will only get better from here on. Looking forward to your next report!

If you want a better chance of getting bigger fish, try rice lake, simcoe, and other bodies of water.

congrats on catching some nice fish, something I used to do when using a stringer is to push the tip of the hook of the stringer thru the soft tissue just past the lower jaw bone and your fish will live longer on the stringer. At the end of the day or evening fish if I only caught one fish and I didn't feel like cleaning one fish I would just let it go.