Float Fisherman!!

hoops12

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a float rod and reel this year. Can anyone give me advise on what to look for (rod length, reels, line and brands). Please keep in mind i don't what to break the bank.

Thanks for you help

Hoops

If you want to spend as little as possible, look into a used set up. Look in the classifieds here or on the floatboard. Tones of used inventory this time of year.

For rod, I'd rather buy new. Okuma and Quantum make some inexpensive rods that range just over $100. Or make your own by buying the components. I order for John's fly material in London ON. Great service and reasonable prices.

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a float rod and reel this year. Can anyone give me advise on what to look for (rod length, reels, line and brands). Please keep in mind i don't what to break the bank.

Thanks for you help

Hoops

With float gear you really need to define breaking the bank, could spend as little as $300 for a new outfit or quite a bit over a grand.

i'd recommend staying away from the okuma rods, garbage, wet spaghetti noodle...their aventa reels are good bargain for an entry level pin...streamside and quantum both have good rods at entry level prices that are way better than the okuma rods

buying quality used will get your further ahead than buying new junk...with a used centrepin you can always replace/upgrade the bearings...i did my last one at the shop in woodstock, think he paid me a few bucks for my old bearings and my aventa spins forever now, cost me about 40 if i remember right

Hello,

Thanks for you help

Hoops

the types of rivers you fish should determine the setup you choose ie faster flows vs slower flows, big rivers vs small rivers etc also the type of vehicle you drive will determine if you require a 2 or 3 piece rod for transporting

My opinion is either talk to the guys that do it in person or visit a tackle shop like ANgling Outfitters, Natural Sports, Fishin NIagara, Hook Line and Sinker or others that specialize in float fishing. Get as many different float rods in your hands as you can and then look at what water you will mainly be fishing.

Now you ask yourself how many of these damn things do I need :) Like golf you will find different situations (rivers) require different clubs (float rods) and the same thing

applies with reels.

A safe bet would be to wait a little longer and visit ifloatfish.com it will be all you need to know and everything you need to order.

if you want to spend under 300, why not invest in a decent float road with a spinning reel?

Great advice. Good quality gear can last you many seasons, even a lifetime. I would look at a good quality float rod, learn to use the longer rod (trust me, its awkward going from 6-7 footers to a 12 or 13'), and not complicate the learning process tooo much by pairing it with a float reel right off the bat. Don't get me wrong, float reels are fantastic, but learning to cast them effectively, (and not end up tangled and retying 75% of the time) is a whole new skill in itself. You can always build on your set up by adding a float reel. I actually know a few very effective steeleheaders that always bring a spinning reel spooled and ready (and put the float reel on the bench) to go for small spinners across big pools.