Curing salmon eggs

shadowfly

Hey guys it's my first time attempting to cure salmon eggs

i have put them in lake water and in a glass jar. i kept what i need and gave the rest to other fishermen but don't know the next procedures how to keep them for more than a year any help would be great preferable simple procedure non of the borax and coolaid recipes some have mentioned to me in the past.

cheers and tight lines.

If they are loose, I'll water harden them, spread them out to dry and vacuum seal them.. Nothing fancy.

how do you water harden them ? just cold water? thanks for the tips guys

i have them right now in lake water and in the jar in and in the fidge how long can i keep them the way they are now?

how do you water harden them ? just cold water? thanks for the tips guys

i have them right now in lake water and in the jar in and in the fidge how long can i keep them the way they are now?

Harden in the river once you milk them from a fish. A stocking or legging is great for this..

Personally, I'd take them out, spread them on a baking sheet and wait until they are tacky. If you can't vacuum seal them, just split them up into individual ziplock bags (one bag per trip is what I do), suck all the air out with a straw and put all the small bags into another large air tight ziplock and put in the freezer.

Edited by BillM

Harden in the river once you milk them from a fish. A stocking or legging is great for this..

Personally, I'd take them out, spread them on a baking sheet and wait until they are tacky. If you can't vacuum seal them, just split them up into individual ziplock bags (one bag per trip is what I do), suck all the air out with a straw and put all the small bags into another large air tight ziplock and put in the freezer.

how long do you water harden them?

If they are loose, I'll water harden them, spread them out to dry and vacuum seal them.. Nothing fancy.

I do the same except I've found a quick rinse in a boracic acid solution before drying they keep a lot longer, even with just refridgeration not freezing. Boric or boracic acid is antiseptic, fungiciide , yeast killer that is used medicinally for everything from eye wash, yeast infections to a food preservative, not really a cure but kills anything that promotes spoilage before it starts.

I do the same except I've found a quick rinse in a boracic acid solution before drying they keep a lot longer, even with just refridgeration not freezing. Boric or boracic acid is antiseptic, fungiciide , yeast killer that is used medicinally for everything from eye wash, yeast infections to a food preservative, not really a cure but kills anything that promotes spoilage before it starts.

would brine be ok for the same purpose?

would brine be ok for the same purpose?

Think salt is not as effective as an killer of organisms that start the mould fungus bacterial growth rot cycle. My theory is if the eggs are sterile as far as these organisms then spoilage will not start. I do remove all air or oxygen by vacuum packaging or placing in a sealer type jar and tossing in a lit match while applying the lid. Usually I can keep them 6 months with just refridgeration.

Boric acid powder is easily available at drug store. here's the wiki on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid