Coho on the fly!

FlyGuy5

Hit up the Ganny a couple of weeks ago after a good rain checked out the river on my way home from work to see nothing but black due how many salmon were in the river. I ran home grabbed my fly rod and ran back to the river. Using brown body and pink and orange head eggsucking leaches I was able to hook fish after fish. Fishing along the seams of the fast water I was able to hook into a few little Jack's and 2 very nice coho which were by far the catch of the day!!

September 2010 salmon run 002.jpg

September 2010 salmon run 005.jpg

Very nice, think it was 82 that saw the first Chinook runs of any size in Lake Ontario, but there was Cohos for over ten years before that. To be honest, in the rivers I actually prefer fishing Cohos, they seem to get further upriver in better shape than Kings, more willing to hit especially the males and more acrobatic when hooked. Good shooting :thumbsup_anim:

Very nice, think it was 82 that saw the first Chinook runs of any size in Lake Ontario, but there was Cohos for over ten years before that. To be honest, in the rivers I actually prefer fishing Cohos, they seem to get further upriver in better shape than Kings, more willing to hit especially the males and more acrobatic when hooked. Good shooting thumbsup_anim.gif

Actually the Ganny was initially stocked in 1969 and runs occured from 71 to 73, there was actually a thriving commercial boat fishery there as well, with salmon, steelhead, whitefish and american eels, the chinook runs were very large as well for a couple of years, I think the stocking numbers were 69,000 for 1969 in the Ganny and I believe Cobourg was stocked the same year as well, the building behind the gas pumps was the commercial fish area where people could buy fish off the boats as they returned from the lake.