Giant Smallies and a new PB *PICS*

steverowbotham

It's that time of year! I always look forward to fishing after Labour Day, its my favourite time of year!

I've been out quite a bit lately, and on Friday I took out a couple friends for the evening. Launched at Smiths Bay and east to fish some islands and shoals. The fish were very aggressive and we were able to land almost 20 fish in the 3-4.5 pound range including one about 5.5 caught by a good friend. Fish were all caught on a variety of baits including jerkbaits, crankbaits, tubes and dropshotting slammers. Very fun evening and nice to spend some fishing time with good friends, and no money on the line haha.

61523_475360798091_502843091_6735139_3289678_n.jpg

Noel's new PB @ 5lbs 8oz

61785_475360893091_502843091_6735143_4833327_n.jpg

Sunday I fished a tournament on Lake Couchiching. I was on very big fish the weekend before but was unable to land many of the fish I hooked, a string of bad luck and stupid mistakes had cost me big. So this weekend I needed revenge. I went to my zone and caught a 3lbs largemouth on my 2nd cast. Looking good. An hour later and no more fish in the boat, I hit a stretch of docks. I finished the stretch of docks without a sniff. Uh oh. Headed to some deep rock/weed transitions... got a 13 inch smallmouth ... eww.

Went to some shallow reeds and started flipping matted grass/reeds. I had a big bite under one of the mats and after I stuck her, I just couldnt haul her out and by the time I got in there, she was gone. Finally made the choice to go fish for smallmouth and it was the right choice. We landed about 12 good smallies and the choice was good enough to put us in 2nd place. Was hoping for #1 for the 3rd year in a row, and #2 is becoming far too familiar, but I'll take it!

Kelli finished her old job on Friday and starts her new job on Wednesday, so with the incredible weather today, we decided to fish this morning. On the water at about 8am. We were visiting her parents in Innisfil so we launched there and fished my childhood stomping grounds. I have to say, I'll be spending a lot more time visiting that area. When I told my dad where we were going, he drove down to meet us. With the flat calm weather, the shallow fish were pretty spooky for the most part, and didnt get bit for the hour before my dad arrived, but we finally found the right colour slammer and they would inhale it. Still tricky to get bites, but we were able to get some and they were good ones! The highlight of the day and possibly the season was sliding the net under Kelli's PB smallmouth. This thing was a moose! She weighed in at 6lbs 13oz and was one of the fattest fish I have ever seen. She spotted it cruising in about 14 feet of water and and threw her dropshot about 20 feet past it and the fish circled it 3 times before deciding to eat it. Such an awesome fish!

There is just so much good water to fish on this lake, it never fails to amaze me!

60844_476499448091_502843091_6761799_7456261_n.jpg

60093_476499583091_502843091_6761803_4508948_n.jpg

60093_476499573091_502843091_6761802_685823_n.jpg

Edited by steverowbotham

Guest Johnny Bass

Wow! Would have been cool to see a video of her fighting that fish. Most men, never mind women, would have lost that fish!You taught her well Steve!Congrats on your PB Kelli!

Guest jaeteriusZero

Those are some beautiful smallmouths, great markings... and the guy holding his smallmouth on the 4th pic, he has a pretty nice reel.

Edited by jaeteriusZero

Wow! Would have been cool to see a video of her fighting that fish. Most men, never mind women, would have lost that fish!You taught her well Steve!Congrats on your PB Kelli!

You're right. I was surprised at how calm she stayed after its first jump. She told me after its first jump, this is the biggest I've ever caught.

Way to go Steve, that fish is an absolute hawg. Congrats to your fiancee for catching it!

You seem to have these Simcoe waters on lock, any chance the waters around Innisfil happen to be safe for a canoe under calm conditions? Not looking to venture too far from shore..

Thanks again for sharing your reports. Always a pleasure to read! :thumbsup_anim: