Honda oil filter for 30hp outboard

Fisherpete

Anyone know where I can pick one up in the next few hours? I started my oil change, only to find that the oil filter on my garage shelf was an empty box! I called several Honda Powerhouse locations, all are closed today... I am heading to BPS soon to pick up a few other things, anyone know a location around there?

Also, for you Honda owners out there, do you stick to the Honda brand oil or use other brands? I think it is 5W30 if I can remember correctly... In the 3 years that I have owned the motor, I have always used the Honda stuff, but if I can't get it, what are your suggestions?

One last (probably really dumb) question... how bad of an idea would it be to re-use the oil filter that I just took off? The oil will obviously be changed again in a few months when the season ends. I have tomorrow off and will be on the water, as long as I can get the oil done today!!!

Also if any one of you Honda owners in the GTA has an extra one to spare, I would gladly swing by and buy it from you...

Thanks guys!

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

Anyone know where I can pick one up in the next few hours? I started my oil change, only to find that the oil filter on my garage shelf was an empty box! I called several Honda Powerhouse locations, all are closed today... I am heading to BPS soon to pick up a few other things, anyone know a location around there?

Also, for you Honda owners out there, do you stick to the Honda brand oil or use other brands? I think it is 5W30 if I can remember correctly... In the 3 years that I have owned the motor, I have always used the Honda stuff, but if I can't get it, what are your suggestions?

One last (probably really dumb) question... how bad of an idea would it be to re-use the oil filter that I just took off? The oil will obviously be changed again in a few months when the season ends. I have tomorrow off and will be on the water, as long as I can get the oil done today!!!

Also if any one of you Honda owners in the GTA has an extra one to spare, I would gladly swing by and buy it from you...

Thanks guys!

Pete

#1, Honda doesn't make oil, it's just re-branded for them, check your manual..the thing you read to learn all about your engine, mine(25) can use 10/30 or 10/40, you can get filters at CTC, about $5.00 instead of $15 at Honda. Whats the point of dumping new oil in a dirty filter. Some of the series use the same filter as the motorcycles.

Probably more important to change the filter than the oil.

When filters get plugged the oil bypasses the filter element inside it. Then you end up with unfiltered oil being pumped through the engine.

Many rebranded oils are now being made with specific additives being added into the oil to suit manufacturers.

All oils are not necessarily the same, use oil that has specifications your manufacturer specifies.

Just because it is 5w30 (or whatever it calls for) doesn't mean it has the proper rating, such as SF, SG, SJ and so forth.

So make sure the oil has at least the minimum requirement specified in your owners manual.

As with motor oils, many oil filters are not the same either. Cheap filters often will use filter material and bypass components that are not as well made.

Take a new quality filter and a cheap one and feel the difference in weight.

I only use quality filters (usually made by WIX or Purolator and rebranded for others)

Edited by Bernie

Thanks guys, I am heading out with Al in his boat instead tomorrow, so the rush is off. I will be stopping by Honda first thing tomorrow morning to get the proper filter. Fisherman - on the side of my motor (2005 model), it actually specifies 5W30 (I knew I remembered that from somewhere) - but the last time I got oil from Honda they suggested running it with 10W30 for the summer months and then go with the 5W30 for the fall.

I have a 50hp Honda Tiller. The dealer told me every 2nd oil change, change the filter. I've been using Quaker State oil since new 5W30. But if you have lots of money, change the filter every 50 hours like they recommend. I'd be changing every couple weeks :whistling:

Thanks Randy for the cross over, sure going to look into that. Even I may change every change if I can get them cheaper than $15.00 :D

Fisherman - on the side of my motor (2005 model), it actually specifies 5W30 (I knew I remembered that from somewhere) - but the last time I got oil from Honda they suggested running it with 10W30 for the summer months and then go with the 5W30 for the fall.

Aha, newer motor, thinner oil, just like the cars. Mine must have the older 6 months/100 hr schedule, even though it says, 2 year 400 hr for the filter, I change it each time. No point in putting a dirty band aid on a new wound. Go get a fish or 3 :Gonefishing: