Required Boat Documentation

Rae

Do you just need the boat license (service Canada paper that issues your boat #'s) and proof of Insurance? And your operators card. Is there anything else I should have in the boat?

I was in the US last week getting a used boat and I'm almost done with all the paperwork, hopefully tomorrow will be my maiden voyage. I just want to be sure I have all the documentation in case I get pulled over on the water.

Rae

pleasure craft licence and proof of ownership (bill of sale). no insurance but if ya have ya might as well show it.

The Pleasure Craft License is free of charge and transferable to any subsequent owner of the vessel. The license must be carried on board the vessel at all times. However, a license is not a Title Document. Vessel operators must therefore also carry other documents, such as a document that establishes ownership or registration, in order to help avoid/reduce delays clearing US-Canada customs or in case of a fine.

"registration" does not come into play until the vessel exceeds 15 tonnes, and is considered ownership but again, not on your boat or mine, unless ya got a really, really big boat.

there is no document from Service Canada or any other agency that qualifies as ownershiop of a pleasure craft.

Edited by smally21

pleasure craft licence and proof of ownership (bill of sale). no insurance but if ya have ya might as well show it.

The Pleasure Craft License is free of charge and transferable to any subsequent owner of the vessel. The license must be carried on board the vessel at all times. However, a license is not a Title Document. Vessel operators must therefore also carry other documents, such as a document that establishes ownership or registration, in order to help avoid/reduce delays clearing US-Canada customs or in case of a fine.

"registration" does not come into play until the vessel exceeds 15 tonnes, and is considered ownership but again, not on your boat or mine, unless ya got a really, really big boat.

there is no document from Service Canada or any other agency that qualifies as ownershiop of a pleasure craft.

:worthy: Amen, finally.