walleye rod

walleyejack

The 6.6" Medium-light action Fenwick Highlander rod is a beauty. Very light, sensitive and strong. It's the best rod at Can. Tire. 79.99 but you can get it on sale sometimes for 59.99. I've been using it for 2years and absolutely love it and don't feel the need to spend any more money for a good walleye rod.

Edited by Rod Caster

Jigging, rigging, trolling.............. What do you want to do, how much do you want to spend?? You can pick up a $70rod at Canadian Tire OR you can spend $400+ on a GLoomis. A good general purpose rod will be 6'6" to 7ft, medium action, fast tip. A St.Croix Premier for around $100 would be a great rod.

i stopped spending big money on my spinning gear all round. big money on baitcasters. i discovered the berkely cherrywood by mistake, needed an extra onn a trip and they were 20$. i like these rods as much as my shimano compres and i could buy 5 for the money. sensitive tips, okay for backbone and damnm near disposable for the money. in med light great for jigging and bouncing, not good for trolling though.

St Croix Avid is a great walleye rod for jigging,lindy rigging, and even trolling wally divers or small crank baits. I would go 7'0 medium light or medium with a fast tip.

Once you get into trolling bottom bouncers or bigger cranks you will need a trolling rod. A bait casting combo works well also with a Rapala line counter added on.

A jigging rod needs sensitivity that you do not get with a cheaper rod. Walleye can be very stealthy and sneaky and get take a minnow without you feeling it.

The new Fenwicks are a really nice rod as well. Of course the Loomis GLX is the Ferrari but I do not know many people that could justify the money.

I do not normally support people trying to up sell people into expensive equipment but for the light biting walleye you need to feel them.

Shimano's higher end jigging rods are impeccable as well.

Edited by Grimace

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i discovered the berkely cherrywood by mistake, needed an extra onn a trip and they were 20$.

i own two cherrywoods for this very purpose. i can take them in small boats and in the bush where there's higher risk of breakage, and i don't feel like i'm using a 30 dollar rod. for bang for your buck, i have no complaints about these. if you don't care about money, st. croix are pretty dang' nice.

Have had 2 Berkley Cherrywood's for over 15 years. A 5foot 10 inch one pc and a 6 foot 10 inch 2 pc rod. Except for trolling they have handled all my walleye fishing and I have never ever had the urge to "upgrade".

I mean where talking walleye not muskie or chinnies right.

Good line and a decent reel are far more important in my books. Don't go cheap there.

For my money there is only one walleye jigging rod St. Croix Legend Elite 6'3" MXF, I've got a few of em, and love them to death! I've used a lot of other rods, and this one is by far my favourite. The Avid 6'3" MXF is nice too, if you can't justify spending $300+ on one rod.

For my money there is only one walleye jigging rod St. Croix Legend Elite 6'3" MXF, I've got a few of em, and love them to death! I've used a lot of other rods, and this one is by far my favourite. The Avid 6'3" MXF is nice too, if you can't justify spending $300+ on one rod.

I'd get a Legend Tournament for an all-round I'd get one of those in a 7' medium, fast action. Around $200 lifetime warranty and super-sensitive.

I mean where talking walleye not muskie or chinnies right.

Good line and a decent reel are far more important in my books. Don't go cheap there.

Because musky and chinnies bite so light they are hard to detect? The rod is what you spend money on for walleyes because they bite light therefore you need the sensitivity. Since walleye don't burn your drag like musky or chinnies you can go a bit lighter on the reel. Always no matter what spend good money on quality line.

The rod is what you spend money on for walleyes because they bite light therefore you need the sensitivity. Since walleye don't burn your drag like musky or chinnies you can go a bit lighter on the reel.

Many cheap rods...like my cherrywoods...have more then enough sensitivity to detect even the lightest bites. Many cheaper rods with this trait however do not have much backbone...which is fine for walleye...hence my chinny/muskie comment. BTW I don't target muskies or chinneys, I was just using them as examples.

Burning drag has nothing to do with my chinny/muskie comment either. I merely ment a cheap rod can last for years with proper use and care. A cheap reel....not so much...so spent a little more on the reel because it will stand up better.

We are 100% in agreement on the line however.

Agreed on the line for sure. Like I said I would only go a bit lighter on the reel if I needed to save somewhere.

I look at it like this. It costs me 80 bucks to fill up my truck and that tank is usually gone by the time I get back from fishing not counting what goes into the boat. With all the time and money I have invested in just getting to the lake I like to know I have given myself the best opportunity to catch a fish.

Cheers

Edited by Grimace

If you need an all-purpose rod for relatively light lures, I'd say any medium or medium-light power rod from 6' to 7' will work pretty well. If you mostly jig shallow water like the Kawarthas, a 6' to 6'6" ML/M is good enough. If you need to regularly jig very deep water, I'd go for a 7' M/MH. If you jig most of time, choose a rod with a long reargrip -- it tends to balance better for vertical jigging. If you throw crankbaits, choose a 6'6" to 7' dedicated crankbait rod. If you mostly troll, then choose a longer rod with more backbone. And if you troll heavier crankbaits with planar boards, stick with dedicated trolling rods like a 7'6" MH casting model.

The rod weight and sensitivity largely depends on your budget. Higher end St. Croix and G. Loomis are nice, but they may not fit everyone's budget. Someone here mentioned Cherrywood. If I go with Berkley, I might as well go up to Tactix for about $20 more -- lighter and more sensitive. If you're willing to pay a bit more (around $100), I would choose Fenwick HMG or Shimano Compre, before St. Croix Premier. They all have corresponding crankbait models available.

And if you decide to go for casting models, PM me. I am selling a bunch of rods. Le Baron is also having no-tax sale...

Guest Johnny Bass

My Fenwick HMX can't be beat for pickerel. I can feel even the slightest hit and it handles them very nicely. Medium to medium heavy(which is not that heavy) with a fast to medium fast tip(depending on what technique). I prefer one piece(6'6 to 7 feet) for extra sensitivity. AND they are relatively cheap at Lebarons. You can pick one up for less than $70.

My Fenwick HMX can't be beat for pickerel. I can feel even the slightest hit and it handles them very nicely. Medium to medium heavy(which is not that heavy) with a fast to medium fast tip(depending on what technique). I prefer one piece(6'6 to 7 feet) for extra sensitivity. AND they are relatively cheap at Lebarons. You can pick one up for less than $70.

Those Fenwicks are a great rod for that price. They have a cool handle on them as well.

with all this talk about this rod is more sensitive than that rod, I was wondering if anyone has ever done an independent study on the actual sensitivity on rods. From my understanding the higher the graphite content the more sensitive the rod, hence IM6,7,8,10.. Am I right about this. Also when you throw the no stretch line in the mix does that make how sensitive a rod is over another a mute point? What does everyone think?

probably the best bet is to set the amount you want to spend, and then look at choices based on your amount.

otherwise, you get opinions everywhere at all price and quality points.

you have everything from St. Croix Legend Elites to Berkeley Cherrywood rods being mentioned here.

thats like apples and oranges.

both will catch fish.

but the high end stuff will be lighter, balanced better, cast better, and be more sensitive generally speaking.

that being said, I cast another vote for the St. Croix Avid if it fits your budget.

its around $170 or so but you would swear you are fishing with a $250+ rod.

a lot of bang for your buck IMO.