I am so disgusted by this....

adempsey

yeah, I read that ont this moring too. What an asshat.gif law to allow reclassification of a water body full of trout to turn it into a poisonous pool. I plan on signing the petition against it. Frankly, we should be campaigning to end this law period. This has happened to more than 1 lake in Alberta.

An article discussing the use of a pristine freshwater lake in Newfoundland as a dumping ground for toxic mining tailings.

http://www.thestar.com/article/859667--vale-targets-pristine-lake-for-tailings#article

I am shocked that this type of practice is still allowed in our country. Pure greed.

edit: Here is the site for the group that is spearheading action against this.

Using this pre-written letter, you can voice your opposition to schedule 2.

Edited by FishLogic

Guest Johnny Bass

That's disgusting for sure.Water is Canada's most valuable resource. They should figure out another way to dump the toxins. Most toxins today can be recycled to a great degree.

But alas, profits above health and safety is nothing new.....

Steven Harper started allowing all this crap in June of 2008. I posted this link here then. I will post it again.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/06/16/condemned-lakes.html?ref=rss

I also posted worry about the changes to the navigable waters act here, and was told it would never pass. Well it did.

Money.Money.Money.

Guest Johnny Bass

Stephen Harper(and the conservative party for that matter) is pro big business and I don't mean Canadian. I mean foreign. He will do whatever it takes to accommodate them. The conservative party is still led by Mulroney and his cronies. Say what you will about the liberal party but at least they support domestic business and that is why the big industrial cities support them.

This is not a liberal endorsement because I dislike all political parties.

I'm surprised the OFAH(and branches of gov) did not voice their opposition to this. How a government has the authority to do this, I dont know. The land and everything in it belongs to the people. Not the government.

Guest gbfisher

Stephen Harper has been trying to pull the wool ever since high school where he LOST his election... :clapping: . :thumbsup_anim:

Hopefully people will see him for what he is once again.

One large pompous ass. :glare:

Guest Johnny Bass

And who exactly made the amendment to the law to allow toxic tailing dumping. The liberal government of 2002.

Enough said.

Tom.

Not enough said. Proof please.

Not enough said. Proof please.

It was the liberals in 2002. He is right. Schedule 2 was suppose to account for the lakes that had already been used as toxic dumping grounds in the past (legally or otherwise). No lakes that were deemed to be healthy lakes would ever be used. Harper has now twisted that into whatever lakes are deemed convenient, hence the free for all the last couple of years.

Schedule 2 sat for 6 years pretty quiet until Harper sharpened his claws on it in 2008.

Pointing fingers at Liberal or Conservative parties is pointless, they change regularly and they can only go by what the bureaucrats tell them. The bureaucracy is the one constancy in government, they are the ones who investigate what needs to be done, and then advise on, draw up, and implement policy and law. When a new government comes in they'll usually just go along with whatever the previous one was going to do, unless it is a high-profile issue like military equipment (where we have been royally screwed over by both parties over the years). Let's get back to fighting this particular issue and leave partisan politics out of it.

For the record I am very liberal socially, but that doesn't mean that I am a Liberal Party supporter politically. Just wanted to clear that up. :whistling: