My Week on the Water So Far . . . a few surprising catches

BillsTheBassMan

After the inevitable death of my camera last Saturday, I didn't let it sour me and kept on slogging. Sunday saw me with a mild hangover, so it provided the perfect opportunity to go carping with my nephew. We were skunked but he had fun and learned a few things and he's already supporting the best football team around:

DSCF0005.jpg?t=1283373022

Monday it was back to the rivers for some smallmouth bass action with the new underwater camera in tow. I didn't have to wait long before getting a chance to use it (or the attempt thereof) on a 15" smallie. Sadly, this is the best I could do with my first go around:

DSCF0020.jpg?t=1283373028

The night saw about 12 small bass, a decent pike on a topwater, and this guy who bit off a little more than he should reasonably be able to chew:

DSCF0025.jpg?t=1283373027

Next up was Tuesday night with Tybrad and I, to explore some new water and see what we can find. We were looking for smallies, as that's the common catch around these parts, but were surprised when my first cast resulted in this small guy:

DSCF0037.jpg?t=1283374050

Next up was an even bigger surprise. This is my second Walleye in non-walleye waters this year and this guy put up a vicious fight. I thought it was a smallie until I saw the beautiful gold and big dorsal fin. This may not look like much, but it really is a once-in-a-lifetime catch in these waters:

DSCF0038.jpg?t=1283373035

DSCF0039.jpg?t=1283374185

A little further on the river we ran across the species that we were actual targeting as I hooked into the first smallie of the day. Tybrad did the photowork on this quality underwater shot:

DSCF0041.jpg?t=1283373074

And, Tyler got the skunk off-the-river before the night closed, and hooked into a 12" smallie that required too much unhooking attention to get a decent picture of . . . it was too small anyways ;)

It was a quality start-to-the-week on the water and I'm en route to continue it now before my 7:45 Annual Fantasy Football Draft.

Tight Lines & Go Packers,

Ryan

Nicely done. I'll be looking to get out next week.

I'll send you a PM when I know what my schedule is looking like and hopefully we can hook up. Its been over a month since I fished a river!

I get disagreeable after missing a day on the rivers, I can't imagine a month, and I'm just denying the fact that winter is en route. Shoot me a PM and we'll see what suits. I'll be trying to fish every night next week.

what camera did you get I just picked up a pentax w90 and havent really played with it much

I got the Fuji camera that Dave Mercer endorses - it's waterproof, dust proof and underwater able. I love it personally. The zoom is weak, but not generally needed for fishing pics. It was 160 on sale at Future Shop.

New report coming soon folks.