question about leaders

kevinhiles

I only have one rod so I like to tie on leaders to make it easier to swap out lures when I'm fishing different spots on a lake. Does it make it more difficult to catch fish with the leader (i.e. does it scare the fish?).

I just bought a new x-rap and clackin rap and I want to try them both this weekend without retying everything.

I appeciate any advice...thnx

i was taught how to fish by my father and grandfather years ago, and they both used swivels to attach lures to line. grandfather made a living as a guide and trapper, so i figure it must be ok.

i use good quality black swivels because they seem to be less visible in the water. i must say though, that if im using plastics, i tie directly to the hook because i use the same hook even if i want to change color or type.

I think 10 different people will give 10 different answers on this. In my experience, it is ok to use wire leaders on moving reaction type baits like Raps or spinners (anything that is always moving). When using plastics or finesse fishing and jigging, I always tie on directly to a mono line.

Next time you are somewhere where the fish are on, experiment a little and see what happens. I have caught Walleye and Bass when finesse-ing with a leader, back when fishing didn't come with rules :sarcasm:

I dont really think it makes a huge difference to most fish, especially if you are just using a snap/snapswivel, of course I wouldnt reccomend one for trout or salmon fishing in clear creeks on light line.

A heavy leader might deter a fish in clear water, just like heavy line would, but sometimes it is necessary, I wish that I had used a leader while I was ripping bucktails for walleye last week, I could have landed a huge musky that took my jig and bit through my 20lb powerpro, I had him on for about 10 minutes and thought I might be ok, but was proven otherwise.

Also if the bait that you are throwing is weedless, a leader/swivel will usually make it pick up just as many weeds as if it wasnt weedless, but for throwing rapalas you should be fine.