NF - Sault St. Marie & Michigan

John Bacon

I plan to take the train ride up the Agawa Canyon. I will need a place to stay for the night in Sault. Does anybody have any recommendations? Nothing fancy, just a need a place to sleep.

We plan to head home through Michegan and cross back into Ontario through Detroit. I plan a visit to Cabela's. Are there any points between Sault & Detroit that we should make a point of seeing?

I plan to take the train ride up the Agawa Canyon. I will need a place to stay for the night in Sault. Does anybody have any recommendations? Nothing fancy, just a need a place to sleep.

We plan to head home through Michegan and cross back into Ontario through Detroit. I plan a visit to Cabela's. Are there any points between Sault & Detroit that we should make a point of seeing?

lots of places to stay, the quality inn is right across the road from the train station. the watertower is also a nice newly renovated hotel. the train ride is amazing in another couple weeks all the leaves will be changed, they are just starting now.

Edited by worm dangler

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

days inn, quality inn, travelodge are all blocks from the train/downtow/st. mary's river.

the delta is right on the river itself.

enjoy the train! watch for brookies in the streams while you're there!

John:

If you get a chance check out the Pictographs at Agawa bay. The pictographs are really cool, but the walk down to them is just unbelievable. An incredible, natural path down to them and just gorgeous views. Well worth the stop to see them.

all good ideas - done the plane musuem - cool, the locks are also a neat place - they have an info centre there that is worth seeing. For me everything in between is a drive...

though I gotta ask, why you wouldn't cross at Port Huron? Shaves about an hour...

Oh - and Kinger seems to know some good places on the St Marys...

I usually cross at Port Huron into Sarnia as well, but if you want to see Cabela's, then Detroit into Windsor is easier. There is a good Gander Mountain store right near the border in Port Huron and a Bass Pro Shop in Auburn Hills just North of Detroit. Frankenmuth does have the Bronner's Christmas store which is over 140,000 square feet of Christmas decorations. It is pretty cool though and something to see if you folks like Christmas (We sure do!). Birch Run is right there and they have the Prime Outlet Mall which is huge!

We just came through there a couple of week back and did all these places in Michigan. There is a place there called Harbor Freight Tools...which is the Princess Auto of the US. Lots of crap made by the C. Hina Company....but some neat stuff as well!

Cabela's has done a major renovation and it was pretty nice. Last year, it was looking kind of tired. They don't have their live bait section anymore, but the rest is pretty nice. A tornado went through Dundee, Michigan in June and there is a lot of damage in the Cabela's area.

Enjoy your trip! Michigan is a nice State. If you ever get the time or opportunity to head over to the Western part of the State it is awesome. Very clean and the beaches are nice.

As you head South, if you pass through Flint, they still have an Outback restaurant and an Olive Garden. Two favourites of ours!

Good luck!

JB,

Stop in Mackinaw City once you cross the bridge and visit the old settlement fort, it's tourist trappy but has a lot of history also. If you like cheese Pinconing is the worlds capital with a sattlite shop near the f-way and a factory ~ 4 miles in town. There is also a fishing outlet store there and expect a 3 hour visit. Birch Run is next with the huge outlet mall and Brohner's Christmas Shope in Frankenmuth, atleast a 3 hour visit if you like xmas stuff and 4 hours if you like sit down chiken dinners. As you leave flint the road seperates into US23 or I-75. US23 takes you directly to Dundee and Cabela's, Ann Arbor is a neat place to eat. I-75 takes you to Detroit and Greatlakes Crossing is on the way which has Bass Pro in it. A little further down I-75 is a ritzy shopping mall on Big Beaver Road with Nieman Marcus and the like there. Have a safe trip.

Mike

Edited by madhuskie