How to check the Rod/Reel balance?

ra95

With a spinning setup, I can use index finger spot to balance the rod/reel to find out if my reel is too light or too heavy.

I found this rule doesnot apply to the baitcasting reel/rod? How can I test out if my reel is too heavy or too strong? Maybe my arm is tired out because of the reel/rod not matched to each other??

to be honest Im very picky when it comes to rod reel balance and well I always test out a combo before i buy it (hold it in my hands how I would if I was to be using it). I prefer a rod that is very tip light even at longer lengths. you best bet is for example go to bass pro or some store with alot of products and try match them to your rod and reel of you choice.. I do this 95% of the time when I go to buy a new rod or reel. Ill have 2 or 3 rods or reels in mind but I take the time to test them out with each other and see what "fits the best"

thats just my two cents hope any of that helps.

Edited by fish-meister

Balance is nice, I don`t view it as critical though. I have played around with a couple of my outfits. A foam or rubber slide over handle guard-cushion like on a broom handle. Lead weights poured in a piece of wood to match the idea, tape them to the handle, get the balance right, them slide them in the cushion and slide it on the handle.

Some mfg`s make rods that have a balance system.

BPS sells a Rod Balancing kit. Which is great if your combos are not set up properly. It does add weight to teh overall combo but feels a lot lighter on the wrist for all day fishing. But the best way is to balance the combo at the store like Fish meister mentioned

When I paid $200 or more to get rid of 1oz from the reel/rod, I do not want to put one oz weigh on the handle to balance it ... e.g.

Core100 just failed on balance with any 6'8 GLoomis or Zillion rod I have. I have to use 6'2" St.Croix to match it.

Another example is, 6'8" GLoomis doesnot match any good reel but a cheap Pluenge(8.6oz!) can go with it.

But if I try to move the balance point 3" ahead of my index finger, I found each combination is much easier to pass "balance test".

It introduces to the same observation: Maybe balance test only applies to short rod? Or the balance test only applies to spinning rod?

Edited by James