ATV opinion question......

ckrb2007

what else could i say to convince you yamaha is the answer?

i know...

no word of a lie, 4 people in our group sold their polaris', artic cat and a honda to buy grizzly 700's this year. they are a big bore weighing only 600lbs so they handle like most 455-500's out there, but with enough power to do wheelies while sitting down.

like i said before, make sure you stay away from polaris and artic cat. they just cant take the abuse like other machines.

That's what I'm leaned towards....a yamaha. But then there's Honda and now from some reviews Kawasaki is something to consider.

Decisions, decisions.

So......what is an acceptable about of km's on a used ATV? Obviously the lower the better. I'm looking at a few ATV's...say btwn 2006-2009?

Thats a tough question to answer. It all depends on the condition of the bike.

First quad was a 01 formanES... Bought it with 6500km on it. Sold it 10 months later. Only because I hated 4wd all the time, the crappy brakes , no efi, and the Electric shift that would work when it felt like.

Bought an 04Arctic cat 650v2, fast and good get through all sorts of crap, hated the carb, let me down a cuople times in the cold weather, belt blew twice leaving me stranded , overall crap quality. it had 3500 on it.

Bought an 06 Polaris 500x2... 500km on it.. Like new ...mint condition, EFI is amazing, 2up and box come in super handy, never let me down YET. Only bad thing about it is that it wieghts 800lbs ! friggen tank.

In the end its all about the condition.....the price should reflect that

what else could i say to convince you yamaha is the answer?

i know...

no word of a lie, 4 people in our group sold their polaris', artic cat and a honda to buy grizzly 700's this year. they are a big bore weighing only 600lbs so they handle like most 455-500's out there, but with enough power to do wheelies while sitting down.

like i said before, make sure you stay away from polaris and artic cat. they just cant take the abuse like other machines.

Sorry my friend, I won't say you are wrong but I'll put my Polaris up against anything else out there. I worked the heck out of my little 350 for nearly 10 years. It never, ever, left me walking and I went places no normal human would walk. The only time it ever quit was when I drove it into a 5' deep mud hole and kept it going.

Sorry my friend, I won't say you are wrong but I'll put my Polaris up against anything else out there. I worked the heck out of my little 350 for nearly 10 years. It never, ever, left me walking and I went places no normal human would walk. The only time it ever quit was when I drove it into a 5' deep mud hole and kept it going.

heh...id put my ownership up against it that i would break something on your quad if i drove it the same way i drive mine. mine has been through 4-5 roll overs, flipped end over end, smashed into trees, and full throttle with diff lock many times which is very hard on the drive train. many runs through ponds and deep creeks via water wheelies, stuck bad enough quite a few times where 2-3 quads couldnt winch me out, and hundreds of long wheelies.

polaris and artic cats are ALWAYS the first ones to break down on our long and hard rides which usually last 12 hours. on long weekends we will ride 12 hours and then camp in the bush then ride for another 8-10 hours. guys in our group are switching to yamaha and kawi's because the cats and polaris simply cant take the abuse.

for "normal" riding any machine will do. for our crazy type of riding the less reliable machines are quickly weeded out.

i leave at 9am tomorrow morning for a 2 day ride with 20-23 people. ill be sure to post which machines bite the dust first...

heh...id put my ownership up against it that i would break something on your quad if i drove it the same way i drive mine. mine has been through 4-5 roll overs, flipped end over end, smashed into trees, and full throttle with diff lock many times which is very hard on the drive train. many runs through ponds and deep creeks via water wheelies, stuck bad enough quite a few times where 2-3 quads couldnt winch me out, and hundreds of long wheelies.

polaris and artic cats are ALWAYS the first ones to break down on our long and hard rides which usually last 12 hours. on long weekends we will ride 12 hours and then camp in the bush then ride for another 8-10 hours. guys in our group are switching to yamaha and kawi's because the cats and polaris simply cant take the abuse.

for "normal" riding any machine will do. for our crazy type of riding the less reliable machines are quickly weeded out.

i leave at 9am tomorrow morning for a 2 day ride with 20-23 people. ill be sure to post which machines bite the dust first...

OK LOL, I give, you are the man :clapping: While I do work my machines hard I have never put them through that kind of torture!

You have a wonderful ride, I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

only half of us made it out yesterday due to low temps and rain in the forecast. but, we still had a good run anyways even tough i lost a side panel and broke another over fender. not a single atv broke down this time which is rare. rode from 10am to 11pm yesterday and from 10am-3pm today.

im very happy with the 2" lift kit and would recommend it for everyone. it's amazing how much a measly 2" helps.

buddy is suppose to be sending me some videos of my water wheelies in some deep water along with some other good stuff.

How about one of these Japanese 4x4 imported from Japan . I seen this one in N.S. this summer . The guy had 5 models , honda , mitsu , Toyota and 2 subarus but they all are pretty much the same 4x4 ,800cc . This Toyota model was a little different with the wheels of a side by side and a camoflage wrap . He has sold quite a few including a bright lime green model that is driven by an 80 year old man with a grin from ear to ear . The older gentlemen brags that it is the best vehicle he ever had as he also takes it out on the atv trails and says he can go where ever the atvs go . They are about the same width as a side by side and are road legal . You wouldn't use these special wheels on the road obviously but you can change out to the road wheels very quickly . These vehicles are obviously not for everyone but it is hard to drive by them without having a look .

dscn1428.jpg

dscn1426.jpg