NF---inflating tires

ch312

so, i've been having this argument for some time now and im hoping i'll get a bunch of replies so i can print this off and shove it in his face. normally, id just shrug it off and let him do whatever he likes. but, he is spreading the wrong information so others are also inflating their tires the wrong way.

to properly inflate a tire, do you inflate to the vehicle manufacturers recommendations or the maximum inflation pressure on the tire?

does aftermarket tire size change anything?

this is regarding car, truck, and atv tires.

to properly inflate a tire, do you inflate to the vehicle manufacturers recommendations or the maximum inflation pressure on the tire?

Vehicle manufacturers recommendation, you'll find it on a sticker inside your door.

Edited by lew

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhzjJrtUPU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhzjJrtUPU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhzjJrtUPU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Definitely to the vehicle manufacturer recommendation...and yes, tire size has everything to do about it. The larger the footprint of the tire, the less pressure is required to support the vehicle.

I've had this argument at various lube shops with my Dakota. Even the door sticker can be wrong if it refers to a different tire size than what is actually on the vehicle. My door sticker recommends 40 psi, but for the standard P245 tire. My truck came with a p265 tire with the package I ordered. This tire size is only referred to in the manual with a recommended pressure of only 30 psi.

Cold and hot tire pressure is also different, a low pressure or under inflated tire will heat up with load,speed, and distance causing the air inside p.s.i to rise over max psi in no time, cause is usually blow out.

I recommend you contact the tire manufacture yourself and ask them, based on use, e.g truck lt245/75/16 could be 45 loaded on the way to the cottage and 32 around town empty.

so, i've been having this argument for some time now and im hoping i'll get a bunch of replies so i can print this off and shove it in his face. normally, id just shrug it off and let him do whatever he likes. but, he is spreading the wrong information so others are also inflating their tires the wrong way.

does aftermarket tire size change anything?

this is regarding car, truck, and atv tires.

I'm glad you asked that here, I have been arguing with my bf too about the amount of air to put in tires. I always thought you put in what it says on the tire. I wont be telling him he was right though...I'll just let the topic drop now. clapping.gif