rod building

wormdunker

I have aquestion for the rod builders on this site. I have a GLoomis Imx 7' rod, model #SR642-2, line wt 4-8lb, lure wt 1/16 - 5/16. I would like to reduce it to a 6' rod, I feel the 7' is just a little too long. Would I have to cut 6" from the butt end & 6" from the tip, reposition the guides etc. - or should I leave it alone & buy another in the 6' length?? Thanx for your help

I have aquestion for the rod builders on this site. I have a GLoomis Imx 7' rod, model #SR642-2, line wt 4-8lb, lure wt 1/16 - 5/16. I would like to reduce it to a 6' rod, I feel the 7' is just a little too long. Would I have to cut 6" from the butt end & 6" from the tip, reposition the guides etc. - or should I leave it alone & buy another in the 6' length?? Thanx for your help

This is called a spiel question. Most accurate answer will come from him.

While it could be done it's a very involved process and would totally change the rod action.

If I were to do so I'd remove the 12"s from the butt only and of course this would require installing a new handle and seat, removing and replacing all the guides for correct spacing. The risk of damaging the blank is great and the new position of the guides would leave the old positioning of the guides obvious.

Best recommendation, buy a 6'er and sell the 7'er to cover your costs if your not happy with it.

In order to do this properly the entire rod would have to be stripped to the blank, cut to your liking then rebuilt completely from scratch.

This is not a good idea for a couple of reasons.

First off the cost would be prohibitive.

What you'd spend to get this done properly you're better off buying a new rod.

Second if you do this you'd void the Loomis warranty. Not worth it imo.

If money is tight and you can only afford one rod but don't like the one you currently have....sell it and use the money to buy the one you want.

An alternative is also building a rod. Some of the blanks out there (Rainshadow XST for example) are VERY comparable to IMX and much cheaper.

You can buy all the needed components and taking your time build it yourself.

Thanx for your help guys - I'll probably just keep it & use it as it is. I don't want to compromise an already nice rod. I'm going to check out some of the sites in regard to rod building. Maybe I'll start a new hobby this winter!! Can u advise any sites that would be beneficial to search? Thanx

While I have never built a rod my brother got in to it recently. He built me a 4 piece 4wt fly rod for christmas this year. Howeer, the reason why I responded wasn't to brag about the rod. He learned how to build a rod from taking a class. He lives in calgary. I do not know if any rod building classes are offered where you live but it might be something you'd want to look into. He found his at a fly shop.