Fluoro leader vs Fluoro line

Cudz

I know you are not supposed to but why do I have to buy fluoro leader material for my leader instead of using a 6' piece of fluoro line from a 150 yard spool. What is the difference that makes the leader material better?

Leader material is stiffer and more abrasion resistant,that being said I use regular fluoro line for leader material, it's a heck of alot cheaper

exactly, like a quater the price.

Does regular fluoro line not tie to braid well? I only tried tying regular fluoro line to braid once in my life years ago. I had a 4' leader tied to some 20# braid. Made 2 casts and the leader broke. Keep in mind it was Berkley vanishcrapwhatever fluoro carbon so it sucked anyway but I have not tried it since. It was a costly move as I lost a LC custom paited sexy shad pointer 100 in the process. The lure was worth about $50 at the time. Nice!

Edited by Cudz

Of course you can just use the spool. I mean they sell full spools to fill your reel with. If it's good enough to use as your mainline it should be fine to use a leader too.

I only use the actual leader material when fly fishing. When I'm out with the spinning or baitcasting gear I just bring a spool of regular fluoro line. I've been doing this for 3 years. I use the uni to uni knot and I don't have any problems with it. Or you can use a small barrel swivel if you prefer (but I don't like the idea of banging a swivel against the guides when I forget it's there).

http://www.fish4fun.com/Joining2Lines.

Of course you can just use the spool. I mean they sell full spools to fill your reel with. If it's good enough to use as your mainline it should be fine to use a leader too.

I only use the actual leader material when fly fishing. When I'm out with the spinning or baitcasting gear I just bring a spool of regular fluoro line. I've been doing this for 3 years. I use the uni to uni knot and I don't have any problems with it. Or you can use a small barrel swivel if you prefer (but I don't like the idea of banging a swivel against the guides when I forget it's there).

http://www.fish4fun.com/Joining2Lines.

i always use uni to uni knots.

I would use the Leader material for Muskie or pike leaders,I want the stiffness and extra abrasion resitance. I like regular Bass Pro XPS and Pline flourocarbon for anything else, especially when I use 8'-10' leaders. As for Vanish I won't touch that crap again and I get it free lol

Fluoro mainline is a compromise (a bad one IMO). Fluoro leader line does not sit on a spool well (coils, kinks etc) so manufactures dumbed it down to spool better, and in doing so lost strength and stealth.

I don't need line stealth 10 feet from my lures, but I do want it right down where the teeth, rocks and zebra mussels are. Mono or braid combined with varying lengths of fluoro leaders cover most of my fishing situations.

Uni to uni works if the lines are very close in diameter. Albright works if the lines are of different diameters. Most lines will list the pound test as well as the diameter on the box.

I'm not going to try to save 50 cents on a length of line that has a $8-$15, sometimes more, lure on the end of it.

Proper thickness for pike/muskie would be a 100 plus pounds and that would be stoopid to spool. Yozuri does a hybrid fluro which I have spooled at 20 pounds and a friend at 15 pounds, for a combo of troll and casting. You have to soak it in hot water when you originally spool it but no major complaints here. I'm used to braided and braid wins hands down when it comes to casting and accurately...but if stealth is a major factor that would be the way I would go.

Edited by scuro2