Spin vs. Baitcast

SudburyAngler

Spin vs. Baitcast  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer Spin or Baitcast

which one do you guys prefer pros and cons on each if you please

Man, that is waaaaay to general of a question. Depends on species of fish, type of bait etc...etc....

I'll say for musky/pike/heavy cover bass, baitcast all the way.

For all my other types of fishing spinning reel (including steelheading, eventually I will probably get a "pin", but, for the faster water I fish my spinning reel suits me fine)

Man, that is waaaaay to general of a question. Depends on species of fish, type of bait etc...etc....

I'll say for musky/pike/heavy cover bass, baitcast all the way.

For all my other types of fishing spinning reel (including steelheading, eventually I will probably get a "pin", but, for the faster water I fish my spinning reel suits me fine)

I was reffering to which would you rather use on a daily basis

I was reffering to which would you rather use on a daily basis

I figured that, but, it's still a tough question...I'll answer as if I could only use one or the other for the rest of my fishing days. In that case I would say spinning...can find models in any size for any kind of fishing! :thumbsup_anim:

I could never limit myself to one or the other. Both have their merits. Spinning is great for weightless baits, vertical fishing, skipping under docks and trees. Baitcasters have their place too, throwing big baits with big line, slop fishing, burning baits, and pulling fish out of nasty cover.

well, I've fished spin all my life. got a bait cast last year. still trying to improve on it. havent brought it out yet. just put line on it last week and started practicing with atlantics in the fast water. probably not the best application for it but it works for me. I do however prefer spin because, well.... it's what I know best! and for some reason the big fish are attracted to my rod and no one else's in the boat. odd eh, lol. (maybe 'cause I fish THE BEST haha)

I used to use spinning gear all the time.

then I went through a period where I literally didn't use a spinning rod for 5 years. loved my chronarch/loomis combo.

then, I read an article on ultralight fishing in In Fisherman magazine and bought a fancy UL rod (a Loomis) - was so cool.

then, that basically caused me to 'lighten up' my fishing so I generally use spinning now (with 6/8 pound line) and smaller baits and only dust off the baitcasting rig for the salmon run in the fall..

for those learning to use a baitcaster -practice practice practice. after while you cast without thinking and you never backlash (unless you cast into a tree lol).

also, buy quality gear -when you get good is when you can make the cheaper reels work. not the other way around. start out with good gear to learn on. it helps a bunch.

I fish Crappy, Bass, Pike and Musky in the Kawarthas.

I use casting rods 80% of the time. Musky/Pike baits, Bass size crank baits, rattle baits, jerkbaits, poppers, spinner baits, frogs, toads, rats, spoons, swimbaits and jigs all seem to work better on a casting rod.

I throw Crappy jigs, Senko's and most Flukes on a ML spinning rod.

Garry2R's

Baitcaster 90% of the time. For me it offers more control and no hand switching. Until they make a spinning reel with a left handed bail, I'll opt for the baitcaster every time. The only time I use spinning is in heavy wind or ultralite tackle. I'll probably switch my ice rigs over to baitcaster this year as well ;)