Advice needed: Switching 2 hp Johnson for Trolling Motor

GaryJ

I currently have a very light 12 foot Portabote (less than 100 lbs) with a 2 HP, 2 cycle Johnson Outboard. Currently I only take the boat out once a year during my weekly cottage rental.

The Outboard was tuned up last year but still isn't reliable enough for me to take the boat any significant distance at the cottage so I'm considering selling the outboard and getting a trolling motor.

Don't need a lot of speed, usually only go out when it's fairly calm, I just want something that's reliable.

Questions:

> What kind of thrust do I need on the trolling motor (is 30 lbs enough). BPS has a Prowler for $100

> what else do I need to purchase besides a 12 v deep cycle battery (considering a Costco battery for $80).

> Do i need a battery cover?

> Is this solar charger at Cdn Tire for $10 a good buy/needed?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/SolarPortablePower/SolarEnergy/PRD~0111894P/1W%252BPowersports%252BSolar%252BCharger.jsp?locale=en#BVRRWidgetID

> Do I need a battery charger?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/2/BatteryAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRD~0111506P/Motomaster%252BEliminator%252BIntelligent%252BBattery%252BCharger%25252C%252B2A.jsp?locale=en

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a 12 foot tinny I tried my neighbours 30lb and it wasn't enough. Canadian tire had 40lb min kotas on sale so I bought one and am very pleased with it. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE BATTERY you will regret it later. I can get 6 hours easy out of my min kota and interstate deep cycle battery ( according tot the battery level indicator I feel I could go 8 maybe ten just never tried yet.) I stayed away from the solar charger as I felt battery would last a days fishing I then charge it overnight on a trickle charger works great so far.

Ian

Ian how long/often do you plan to use the motor?

If I were you I'd get a black battery cover just to be on the safe side as well as a circuit breaker.

look no further for the best charger out there: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/2/BatteryAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRD~0111522P/CTEK%252BMulti-use%252B3300%252B3.3A%252BBattery%252BCharger.jsp?locale=en

I would get a 50lb motor to give you the juice you need.

you can't go too big on the electric trolling motor..so go as big as you can afford

don't get a solar charger, they don't work

I don't see any reason to get a cover for the battery, but I guess it wouldn't hurt

I would go with a battery charger with a minimum of 5 amp charge, a 10 amp smart charger is even better..

if you only had a 3 amp charger and your battery was way down say 100 amp hours, it would take at lest 33 hours to charge it

5 amp 20 hours

10 amp 10 hours...and ...call me crazy but some times I want to go fishing to days in a row

I'm not sure whats up with your gas motor, but I'd put out the dollars and get it running better. On a set up like that, I'd rather have gas than battery. Those little 2 strokes run forever. I bet for the price of an electric motor/battery/charger, you could have your gas motor running like a top!!

S.

you can't go too big on the electric trolling motor..so go as big as you can afford

don't get a solar charger, they don't work

I don't see any reason to get a cover for the battery, but I guess it wouldn't hurt

I would go with a battery charger with a minimum of 5 amp charge, a 10 amp smart charger is even better..

if you only had a 3 amp charger and your battery was way down say 100 amp hours, it would take at lest 33 hours to charge it

5 amp 20 hours

10 amp 10 hours...and ...call me crazy but some times I want to go fishing to days in a row

Would this charger be a good buy?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/2/BatteryAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111521P/Mastercraft%252BNautilus%252B15A%252BOnboard%252BBattery%252BCharger.jsp?locale=en

Forgot to also ask since I don't go out that often, how do I protect the battery life if it isn't going to be used for six months or more? Should it be plugged in continuously or once a month or once a week?

I was considering that solar charger to trickle power to the battery without having to plug it in.

http://www.canadiant...r.jsp?locale=en

Forgot to also ask since I don't go out that often, how do I protect the battery life if it isn't going to be used for six months or more? Should it be plugged in continuously or once a month or once a week?

I was considering that solar charger to trickle power to the battery without having to plug it in.

yeah that charger is a smart charger, should work fine

I try to charge my batteries 2 times over the winter and they are good to go

yeah that charger is a smart charger, should work fine

I try to charge my batteries 2 times over the winter and they are good to go

if you go with a solar panel for over the winter..make sure it is at lest 12 watts....that would be about 1 amp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/2/BatteryAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111521P/Mastercraft%252BNautilus%252B15A%252BOnboard%252BBattery%252BCharger.jsp?locale=en

That is a good charger but overkill for what you need.

It will charge 3 batteries at once (I have one on my boat).

This one here will do the same thing but is designed for one battery and is also on sale this week.

Battery Charger

I have been using These Batteries for years with no problems.

I also top up the charge on my batteries every few months.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

If I was you I would keep the 2hp on the boat and buy the trolling motor. It won't be long before you pull your hair in frustration because the trolling motor is too slow. If your using it to navigate around I would go minimum 45lbs thrust and make sure it has maximizer technology.

Yep, keep the gas motor, and get it running good. It won't cost much to fix it, and it should run like a top!! I'd rather have a gas trolling motor than electric. I hate screwing with batteries all the time. It gets to be a PITA!!

S.

For those who have proficiency looking at 2 strokes...what would they say is a reasonable price to get this motor running reliably?

One marina said to me I was looking at a few hundred (without even looking at it or hearing it)...I hate the idea of not knowing what it's going to cost and then getting stuck with a big bill. That's why I'm considering going the electric trolling route and washing my hands of the outboard.

I already paid $80 for a tune up and the guy said he cleaned it up...said there were bugs in the carb even. He said there was next to no oil in the lower unit which he fixed and the only thing he said was it running a bit hot.

I had it running quite well for half of my cottage vacation. Never even took it out more than 1 km from the cottage - just in case I gotta row it back. It got a bit finicky after a few days and was harder to start.