Lake Nipissing Pickerel - Where Can I Buy?

JimC

I realize this topic may be controversial, but please take it at face value.

My family and I will be vacationing at a lodge in the Sturgeon Falls / Verner area next week.

This is an annual trip, but in recent years we have not had much success catching Walleye (pickerel) and really miss the unmistakable smell of fresh pickerel frying in the kitchen.

I understand that pickerel can be sold legally by First Nations fisherman, but where is the best place to get it? Anyone tried some? I must admit that I would not have considered going this route in years past, but with the water where we will be only a couple (few) feet deep I know our chances of catching Walleye is Zippo. I am not willing to go miles across the lake in unfamiliar waters ... just too many rocks in play .. I also heard about logs. So spending $40 (or whatever) for some fresh pickerel fillets seems a safer route.

The obvious concern is that by purchasing walleye, caught by gill nets is only enabling the further decline of fish stocks. I don't know if this is true or not, but I like to think that the commercial harvesting is being done with the future in mind?

Last year we caught ONE Walleye for the entire week. It was a nice 20 incher, but we abide by the slot, took a quick picture, and released it. Very frustrating, but the law is the law. So what other choice do we have, if we want to enjoy one good pickerel feed while on vacation?

I guess one option is to find a good restaurant that has Lake Nipissing pickerel on its menu. Any recommendations of good restaurants in Sturgeon Falls, Cache Bay, over to Lavigne? It think I saw a small ma and pa looking place advertising Pickerel Dinners just outside North Bay (heading towards Sturgeon) on the right. Anyone eaten there?

Any feedback is appreciated. Please PM me, if not wanting to post to this thread. thanks a lot. ... Jim

Edited by JimC

I realize this topic may be controversial, but please take it at face value.

My family and I will be vacationing at a lodge in the Sturgeon Falls / Verner area next week.

This is an annual trip, but in recent years we have not had much success catching Walleye (pickerel) and really miss the unmistakable smell of fresh pickerel frying in the kitchen.

I understand that pickerel can be sold legally by First Nations fisherman, but where is the best place to get it? Anyone tried some? I must admit that I would not have considered going this route in years past, but with the water where we will be only a couple (few) feet deep I know our chances of catching Walleye is Zippo. I am not willing to go miles across the lake in unfamiliar waters ... just too many rocks in play .. I also heard about logs. So spending $40 (or whatever) for some fresh pickerel fillets seems a safer route.

The obvious concern is that by purchasing walleye, caught by gill nets is only enabling the further decline of fish stocks. I don't know if this is true or not, but I like to think that the commercial harvesting is being done with the future in mind?

Last year we caught ONE Walleye for the entire week. It was a nice 20 incher, but we abide by the slot, took a quick picture, and released it. Very frustrating, but the law is the law. So what other choice do we have, if we want to enjoy one good pickerel feed while on vacation?

I guess one option is to find a good restaurant that has Lake Nipissing pickerel on its menu. Any recommendations of good restaurants in Sturgeon Falls, Cache Bay, over to Lavigne? It think I saw a small ma and pa looking place advertising Pickerel Dinners just outside North Bay (heading towards Sturgeon) on the right. Anyone eaten there?

Any feedback is appreciated. Please PM me, if not wanting to post to this thread. thanks a lot. ... Jim

Jim, No one should take offence to this thread. It is an honest question on how to buy legally caught walleye from a legitimate source. They will keep netting and selling and this will not hinge on your purchase.

To answer your questions.....There are 2 places that I know of that sell the fresh Lake Nipissing Walleye. One is the fish market at the North Bay waterfront (old boat) and the second is the a Fresh Meat and Fish store which is just a few minutes West of North Bay on the left hand side of the highway when heading to Sturgeon Falls. I have heard tremendous reports about the quality of the fish and meats (awesome steaks) from this store.

Next answer is restaurants....there are 2 on the highway between North Bay and Sturgeon Falls. One is the Eagle's Nest Restaurant and gas Station. They have "fresh pickeral dinners nightly" and there is also another place called Chester's Shore lunch that I belive sells fresh pickeral.

There are alot of restaurants in North bay that lists Fresh Nipissing Pickeral on their menus. I assume there are some places in Sturgeon and West towards Verner.

Good luck.

Don't give up on Lake Nipissing walleye fishery. The West end is challenging this year due to low water but Callander Bay and South Shore areas are still producing. My friend had a 30 walleye outing on Callander Bay last week, and my neighbor caught a nice 27"er at Iron Island on Friday.

Blair

Almost every fish you buy has been netted.

Well golly gee then where do I get a net and a permit to net a lake? If you can't find pickeral from a store you could always follow a net boat around nipissing and pick up the by catch, some of it might be edible.

005gvj.jpg

I watched a net boat yesterday i didn't see them catch a single pickeral but they did pull a couple dozen of those, maybe a white sucker, out of the net and throw them back to the gulls. Surely they don't do they same with other species of fish while taking part in this traditional power boat gill net stringently managed fishery.

004pb.jpg

But hey every fish you eat is gill netted on lakes like Nipissing so no harm done.

thanks for the feedback so far, folks; some really good tips for us to check out next week.

and like I said at the outset, this subject was bound to be controversial, and I totally understand those who say they would NEVER buy pickerel that have been taken on Lake Nipissing by gill nets. I myself have been in this camp till now, but am now leaning towards buying some from a 'certified' location, so our family can enjoy 'a taste' while on vacation.

note to Nip ... thanks for your lengthy and informative reply; I'll try not to give up on Lake Nip for catching our own pickerel ... it is encouraging to know that folks you know have had recent success bagging some Pickerel in high numbers, in Calender Bay, and the biggie at Iron Island. I've actually fished at Iron Is. a few years back, and we got some nice jumbo Perch there, but didn't see any Walleye. If we get some light wind conditions maybe we'll give it another shot? If not ... then I'm likely visiting one of those places you mentioned. ;-)

Hey Jim, I think your problem is negative thinking! lol You're already looking for a place to buy walleye in anticipation of not catching any! Who was it that said; "Confidence is the best lure you can have in your tackle box!"

Hey, good luck to you and family!

I like that saying, just keep dropping lines, the pickerel are there, you just have to look, making the catch even more worth it

JimC do not give up on nipp don't know were you are staying but go and try over at the hay narrows around the target there are some realy good spots to go around there went out there and caught some nice one under the slot

i do not by fish of any kind but if thats what you have to do go for it ,

Hey Jim, I think your problem is negative thinking! lol You're already looking for a place to buy walleye in anticipation of not catching any! Who was it that said; "Confidence is the best lure you can have in your tackle box!"

Hey, good luck to you and family!

well Mike, you may have a point there, but I'd rather call it 'good vacation planning' ... in any case, I think we will try our luck first, and if unsuccessful (even with all that new found Confidence), by say, mid-week, then it might just be an early morning trip to that place on Hwy 17 between Sturgeon and North Bay. and thanks for the well wishes ... I know we will have fun regardless of the fishing, just like that big OFC get-together early in the season.

JimC do not give up on nipp don't know were you are staying but go and try over at the hay narrows around the target there are some realy good spots to go around there went out there and caught some nice one under the slot

i do not by fish of any kind but if thats what you have to do go for it ,

pikeguy - we usually troll or drift on the west side of the Hardwoods / Little Oak out to the marker buoy, and over towards Pine Island / Pickerel Rock, so Hay Narrows is within reach; we've avoided that area, based on reports that there are a crazy amount of prop eating rocks lurking. But where isn't there rocks this year? If we do venture over there, I assume your tip 'around the target' will become obvious?

btw, our gang will eat Pike (nice handle you have there), so if we can't scare up any pickerel, we may throw out some spoons and spinner-baits and maybe we'll do ok, in the Pike department? thanks for your input.

pikeguy - we usually troll or drift on the west side of the Hardwoods / Little Oak out to the marker buoy, and over towards Pine Island / Pickerel Rock, so Hay Narrows is within reach; we've avoided that area, based on reports that there are a crazy amount of prop eating rocks lurking. But where isn't there rocks this year? If we do venture over there, I assume your tip 'around the target' will become obvious?

btw, our gang will eat Pike (nice handle you have there), so if we can't scare up any pickerel, we may throw out some spoons and spinner-baits and maybe we'll do ok, in the Pike department? thanks for your input.

not a problem always willing to help out on the west arm. I'm a spinner bait lover for pike and do very well with them on nipp, have done well with the purple/white

red/white, and on covered days i use the green/yellow, green/bright green and on all of them i will use a 4" gulp minnow or smelt they work well for me and in other threads i have some pics from that spot. Grab a map and you can check out the canoe pass. There are lots of rocks i will not lie but for the most part they have bean marked some that i did not know about and some that i did stay to the water that you know and you will be safe. From the tip of oak to the narrows is a safe trip and you can find Musky in that area as well

good luck and happy fishing

Walleye fillets to be had at almost every smoke shop on hwy 17 between North Bay and Sturgeon.

Randy

:canadian:

thanks for the info, but I would never buy any "Fresh" pickerel (or any other supposedly fresh food item) from a "smoke shop". The only places I'd consider buying walleye fillets from are those that have 'restaurant standards" certification, and are regularly inspected by the power-to-be. Period. For sure that's not the cheapest route ... I had since learned that they're getting $14.99 per pound. Yikes! ... but at least it is guaranteed only hours out of the water.

Joey ... thanks for the additional option re Lakair lodge ... something else to consider

and thanks again Pikeguy, for the very detailed info, to help us catch our own (Pike or walleye). much appreciated

Hey JimC. You staying at camp LaPlage? If so, and you don't mind pike, try surface lures (something like a torpedo, crazy crawler or jitter bug). Lots of pike and bass at dusk in the bays and weed beds.

Good luck to you and yours and have fun. As for suporting the local walleye fishery.............

Randy, any eyes left down the dams?

Hey JimC. You staying at camp LaPlage? If so, and you don't mind pike, try surface lures (something like a torpedo, crazy crawler or jitter bug). Lots of pike and bass at dusk in the bays and weed beds.

Good luck to you and yours and have fun. As for suporting the local walleye fishery.............

Randy, any eyes left down the dams?

hey nuke, sent you a PM, and thanks for the tip.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on the original questions about actually Buying Walleye / Pickerel, either fresh or at a recommended restaurant.

In addition to Eagles Nest, I have learned there are at least two North Bay restaurants (Churchills, Inn-on-the-Bay) in North Bay that are featuring Lake Nipissing Pickerel on their menus. It ain't cheap ($24 range) but what is these days.

The cost of fresh pickerel fillets at the NFN outlets (I tracked down a phone number) also surprised me at $14.99 a pound.

But that is not far from what the larger food chains are charging ($11-13 per lb. in S. Ont), and they can't tell you where the Pickerel came from (most likely Manitoba or lake erie).

So the jury is still out on whether I'm going to pick up a few Pickerel filets (at The Boat or NFN store on Hwy 17) en route to our impending cottage rental ... will be a last minute call. Thanks again for the input on this thread.

Edited by JimC

Jim C

There are alot of places that advertise lake nipissing walleye, and smoke shops along the highway that have them. The certified fish you are looking for all come with a certification label, and the restuaraunts who are selling the walleye will have a banner, or some other form of this certification label on display just Ask for it. On the reserve there is just R&J's meat market, another located at the water front in north bay is the old cheif fish market. All the fish sold at these 2 establishments are sustainably caught, and cleaned in conditions that meet CFIA standards. All fish are iced immediately when they come out of the water. They supply the restaurants that have certified lake nipissing wallaye.

The other locations who cannot provide proof of the certification label are not cleaned or caught under the same conditions. Some are on the back of pickup trucks, others on plywood etc, are the fish iced?? no one knows, how long were the nets in the water, how long were the fish out of water prior to going to establishments there are alot of unknowns with the un certified fish.

As for the certified, the fisherman have regulations, and there are quality expectations they must meet. I see an establishments name mentioned earlier about walleye cheeks etc, I'll just say if people seen where these fish were cleaned the health units would be getting calls.