Back from the Cottage

Cudz

Just back from a week at a cottage near Parry Sound on Lake Manitouwabing. This lake is a real little gem. Lots of places to fish and it can produce but you really have to work at it. Not an easy lake to figure out and by no means have I done so, but it is lots of fun trying to get the better of it.

A good mix of smb, lmb, walleye, and some pike. Smallies were mostly on Slammers with a few tubes mixed in. Largies on senkos. Also caught some nice fish on wakebaits in the morning. I love catching fish on those and I probably overuse them.

Fishing with 3 small kids and my wife could never be described as relaxing but the girls did manage to catch some PBs with their smallies and my eldest daughter actually got up with me at 6am in the fog and managed a real nice walleye and we only fished for 1 hour. I did most of my fishing from 5:30 am until 8:30 am (when the kids get up), but I did manage to sneak away for a few afternoon stints.

Leaves are already turning despite being early August. Leaves changing colour are never really a good sign for me. I also managed to hit a huge floating log while pulling the kids on a tube. Luckily it did no damage. Not sure how it did not damage the boat or outdrive because it weighed more than 100 Pounds.

Nice weather and a great family resort. Highly recommended.

Nice LMB off a wall ledge.

man1001.jpg

Early morn smallie

man1002.jpg

Another smallie

man1003.jpg

Eldest daughter PB smallie

man1004.jpg

Middle daughter PB smallie

man1005.jpg

Little early morn walleye taken on worm harness

man1006.jpg

Nice smallie

man1007.jpg

Eldest daughter PB walleye. Nice fish. Note fog

man1008.jpg

Leaves changing colour

man1009.jpg

LMB taken off a wall ledge (sorry about the nudity, trying to fix my terrible farmer's tan.

man1010.jpg

Wife's stick on a tube jig. She actually thought it was a fish and had me convinced as well. She reeled like a champ.

man1011.jpg

Wife's first ever LMB, therefore it is a PB. ha ha.

man1012.jpg

Log that I hit in the water. It was about 6 inches below surface. Big piece of wood. Check out the marks my prop and skeg left on it at the end. No damage to boat (I think).

man1013.jpg

Really nice report and pics. You are very luck you got no damage from that log, wow, its a biggun.

I hate to see the leaves change colour early too :( Oh well, we certainly can't complain about our summer so far.

Nice PB for the wife, and some really chunky smallies there :lol:

Joey

I have a cottage very near yours! Great report those are some nice fish. What kind of pink rod is that? I'm looking for something to get my gf committed to fishing for more than 10 seconds.

It is a fisher girl rod from CT. Not a great reel but it lights up when you reel in. It is one of my daughters. I originally bought a pfleuger lady endeavor from ct. It is a much better rod and reel but I couldn't justify the price for my daughter who would likely break it.

nice report cudz. i see you've done away with the hulkster stache.. LOL! glad everythings alright with the boat. maybe cause it was at the end of the log, you hit a brittle part of it with the skeg, and the prop just tore it up a little.

Some nice bass you caught there. Been wanting to try that lake for a while now! You lucked out on that log! Thanks for sharing!

If you do try that lake drop me a line first. Not a great lake to do a one-dayer on. Has taken me a few weeks to get a grasp on.

Guest Johnny Bass

If you do try that lake drop me a line first. Not a great lake to do a one-dayer on. Has taken me a few weeks to get a grasp on.

Will do. Thanks!

Nice. I fished that lake when I was a kid. My dad's buddy has a cottage there. I remember fishing off their dock at night time from dark until about midnight and we caught 8 walleye and over 30 bullhead using worms on a floating jighead. Fun night! One of my best childhood fishing memories!