Fishing the Thames River for bass

Steve_R

Hi Has anyone Fished the Thames river for bass this year? Just wondering if your catching many bass at all cause l have been going down to the North Branch of the Thames around London and its been really slow l see there is a few bait fish around more then in pass few years just wondering if thats the reason? It has been picking up alittle but no where near like it use to be.. :dunno:

I've heard similar reports. The water is pretty gross as of late downstream and in Fanshawe lake.

If you got just of clarke rd (under that bridge, and towards the dam), I've got 5 walleye from in there this year, and a handful of bass ...

westbound just outside town, under the westminster bridge, and towards the indian reserve, i've been wheeling 2lb'rs with the odd 2.5 3lb'r all year, every year ...

cardiac hill in delaware(off adelaide in town there, theres a farm field you can park in--and walk down a big hill) .. there is gar pike, pike, bass, and walleye i've wheeled out of there this year so far.

in town does suck, if you take hyde park rd. south of riverside, right to the end, you can walk down a path that runs in behind the thames golf course, there is pike, bass, and rediculously large carp down there ...

to go east, you have to go the other side of the conservation area, been wheeling bass and pike that way too, off rebecca rd.

in town at greenway park, right at the warm water output, there is always mad bass there, all pretty decent sizes too. my buddy has a porta boat, and we've trolled that stretch from wonderland, then back towards greenway, all the way past the train tressel, lots of bass inthere.

l have caught about 6 walleye and more pike then bass this year so far l even seen a few gar and sheephead which is a first for me in thames in the middle of London...lol l think because the dam isnt up at springbank the fish can make there way up the river now..

l have caught about 6 walleye and more pike then bass this year so far l even seen a few gar and sheephead which is a first for me in thames in the middle of London...lol l think because the dam isnt up at springbank the fish can make there way up the river now..

Moved to London in May, shame there are not many small lakes around (gotta go up north for that) but it is nice to be able to fish 5 mins from home.

I wanted to know what the prob is with the river, is it pollution form waste, chemicals or metals? is it mashed from top to bottom, is it basically the humber rv. south?

Can it be resolved, cleaned over time?

Edited by oates

Calling the Thames a "river" is really somewhat of an exageration... it's a creek, with many places being clay bottomed, with many sewers emptying into it. It will almost always be muddy, especially when Springbank Dam is up.

Try the Kilworth bridge area and downstream to the Komoka bridge. Good smallie water.

HH

I wanted to know what the prob is with the river, is it pollution form waste, chemicals or metals? is it mashed from top to bottom, is it basically the humber rv. south?

Can it be resolved, cleaned over time?

If you fish north/east of Adelaide on the North branch, you will notice a big difference in water quality.

There are several pollution plants in London that dump all their treated (and sometimes untreated in large rains) into the river. At the forks you have Woodstock and Ingersoll's waste coming in as well.

Couple that with all the farm runoff & fertilizer and pesticides....she's hurting IMO. Just check out any local reservoir to see the large algae blooms because of the nutrient loading.

That said, I do eat fish from the reservoirs on occasion, but never from the river. The fish eating guide seems to say its ok. :lol:

Edited by scugog