Rice Lake Long Weekend

diggyj

Once again this weekend was full of family stuff and entertaining friends so fishing was going to be at a bare minimum.

I made it out on Sunday for the first time and I headed out with my friends son Josh for a couple of hours of fishing. We were on the water from 10:30am until 1pm and I managed to catch 2 Smallies and 1 Walleye.

dsc03433.jpg

Once again the Walleye was under the slot and the Smallies were in the 2 lb range. Again they were caught on my hot stretch of shore, just off shore in 10-12 FOW. SLAMMERS were once again the ticket.

dsc03349r.jpg

Then on holiday Monday Josh and I went out again for a couple of hours. This time we were out from about 11am until 1pm. We were on the same track as the previous day when I feel my rod go down, I set the hook and line starts peeling off.

I immediately tell him to get the net and be ready. As I am fighting the fish I am barking orders at him due to his boneheaded move the previous week where he thought he would show me how to land a fish by yanking on my rod and thus pulling the hook and line completely out of the fish. I saw it under the surface and it jumped once completely out of the water and we were both excited as it was a bigger then average fish. I must say he did a good job and he was able to net the Smallie with no problems. It measured 18" and tipped the scale at 4.25 lbs. I caught this one on 8 lb test on a medium light 6 foot Shimano BIS-60MLB2 rod. The new rod I bought at CT last week to replace the one Josh had in fact broke on one of the previous weekends.

After coming up dry and reaching the end of track, I tried a new stretch of shoreline. We were just outside the weedline in 10-12 FOW and shortly after that, I land another Smallie. Another small one in the high 1 lb range, maybe 2 lbs.

As we proceed down the shoreline sometime later once again, my rod tip bends and I set the hook and line once again peels off the reel. This time I was armed with 10 lb test on my Shimano Convergence CVS-70M-2A rod. I fight it for some time adjusting the drag once or twice and once again Josh was armed with the net and we knew it was big as it surfaced a few times but this one did not jump out of the water. He once again landed it beautifully due to the fact he was listening for a change. This one was bigger then the first. It measured 19" and tipped the scale at 4.7 lbs. What a difference in the colours. Again caught on a SLAMMER. If you have never tried theses baits, I highly recommend them. They have produced Smallies like no other bait I have ever tried. Colour seems to be key.

dsc03386k.jpg

dsc034401.jpg

The entire time Josh did not catch anything. He was also dropshotting but he was using a SLAMMER in a different colour. He was getting mad and wanted to change to my colour. So he did and a few minutes later he managed to land a 3+ lber. Not bad. It was my turn to be the net guy.

dsc034421.jpg

2 dwarfing the one Josh caught, for comparison.

All in all we enjoyed our fishing adventures. He also managed to catch 1 Goby and 1 other fish which I wasn't sure what it was. Herring or shad of some kind. First one I have seen in Rice Lake. Hope it wasn't the invasive Rudd.

dsc033711.jpg

dsc03359x.jpg

Enjoy the pics. We took a bunch but they were in livewell and all were released unharmed.

Dirk

Nice going Dirk. I'll be up there in just over a week from now and hope I can replicate what you have been doing. BTW, what exactly is a SLAMMER? Is it like a senko?

Stikezone Slammer is a drop shot bait that looks more like a goby or minnow that anything else.

They are great lures and made here in Ontario. Get a pack and learn to drop shot. You will not be dissapointed. I like smoke colours best but they are all good.