Algonquin Help!

laszlo

I have 4-5 days for an Alogonquin trip during the first week of September.

Don't think I'll be portaging to a camping spot with such limited time.

Any suggestions for a Camp Site I can park my car at that is within a 1-2 hour hike of

some good smallie or brookie fishing?

Personal Message me if you can offer any help.

Thanks A Million!

Well I can suggest going up to the north end to the Kiosk. Not sure about the brookies (never fished for those, but there are trout up there) but the smallie action is hot. If you end up going there I can pm you a spot that will provide constant action from dusk till dawn.

4-5 days not enough time to portage? :D

It's plenty of time.

There's tons of great interior locations within the park that are easily accessable within that time frame.

I've done Lavielle/Dickson numerous times over a long weekend and that's just one example.

Heck I'm leaving tomorrow morning for White River (north shore of superior). Going to portage into a walleye lake up there and come back on Sunday.

You've got oodles of time. :)

4-5 days not enough time to portage? :D

It's plenty of time.

There's tons of great interior locations within the park that are easily accessable within that time frame.

I've done Lavielle/Dickson numerous times over a long weekend and that's just one example.

Heck I'm leaving tomorrow morning for White River (north shore of superior). Going to portage into a walleye lake up there and come back on Sunday.

You've got oodles of time. :)

I was thinking day 1 would be spent getting there, setting up and day 4 spent taking down camp and getting back leaving only 2 days.

This is my only holiday of the entire summer so I was wanting to max out fishing time.

I was thinking day 1 would be spent getting there, setting up and day 4 spent taking down camp and getting back leaving only 2 days.

This is my only holiday of the entire summer so I was wanting to max out fishing time.

Well 5 days is better than 4.

Even with 4 there's still lots of time though.

One very obvious option is to start your trip at the landing on Opeongo.

Utilize a water taxi to shuttle yourself and your canoe/gear to one of the jump off points at the north end.

Redrock,Big Crow, Merchant,Lavielle, Dickson are all options over a 4-5 day period.

What do you want, a vacation, or do you want to actually catch fish? Big difference.

The quality of the angling is generally better if you have to work a bit to get where you're going.

If you decide to go for it we'll talk directly. I can give you plenty of specifics.

Utilize a water taxi to shuttle yourself and your canoe/gear to one of the jump off points at the north end.

Redrock,Big Crow, Merchant,Lavielle, Dickson are all options over a 4-5 day period.

What do you want, a vacation, or do you want to actually catch fish? Big difference.

The quality of the angling is generally better if you have to work a bit to get where you're going.

If you decide to go for it we'll talk directly. I can give you plenty of specifics.

This is a great way to enjoy a good trip, even if you camp on the North end of Openogo for 4 days there is great Smallmouth fishing around there. We usually jig up a couple of Lakers aswell, it's a very relaxing way to go utilizing the water taxi.

I want to catch fish.

I'll message you when the time comes. Thanks.

For now I have to actually get through to Algonquin via telephone. Busy all day the last two days.

Best piece of advice. This holds true in many a Provincial Park with canoe routes. Each protage you make eliminates some competition that was too lazy. The best fish are far to seek, plus more rewarding once you work for it.

Plenty of opportunity in A.P. for a 5 day trip...I've never been in the park longer then 6 days in a row :rolleyes:

But like it has been said, a bit of portaging can make the difference between an "ok" fishing experience, and a great one.

If its Smallies your after I can PM you a pretty easy access lake in the west Gate area, but expect to see people....

Not Anglers per say, but this time of year you'll see other campers as its a pretty lake, and has some great sites.

But if its brookies...

Unless your willing to portage a few times I can't help ya LOL...

Cheers,

If your not into portaging but want to relax and catch fish (bass) i would recommend going to Booth Lake or Smoke Lake/Ragged/South Porcupine. Caught smallies non-stop at these places and even the odd brookie or small laker unintentionally. Brought girlfriends to these places in the past and they did the short 1 or 2 portages involved without complaining. The fishing was great in these spots as well the GF's were happy. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

As others have said 4-5 days is plenty of time to portage into a nice lake and do well. My experience with Algonquin has definitely been if you want quality fishing you need to portage.

There are some lakes that you can get to in a couple hrs by canoe and it will be worth it.