Mercury in fish rising.

GbayGiant

VANCOUVER (CBC) - Children and women of child-bearing age should be careful about how much fish they eat and what types because of the health risks from mercury contamination, according to an international report released Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mercury is a dangerous contaminant that can affect the heart, brain and immune system.

The Madison Declaration on Mercury Pollution summarizes the latest scientific knowledge about:

- Health risks and toxic effects of methylmercury, the form most people are exposed to from eating marine fish.

- Effects on wildlife.

- Socioeconomic consequences of mercury pollution.

- Recovery of fisheries contaminated with mercury.

Methylmercury now poses a public health problem in most regions of the world, and high levels of mercury have been found in people worldwide at all levels of society, the paper concluded.

When fetuses are exposed to the pollutant, it can affect a child's development - enough to justify the warning to be careful about what species of fish are eaten, the researchers said in Thursday's issue of the journal Ambio, published by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

New evidence suggests that exposure to methylmercury may increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases, particularly in men, the report said.

Recommend fish with fatty acids

The authors suggest that consumers look for fish with high levels of healthy omega-3 fatty acids and low levels of methylmercury.

Generally, larger predatory fish such as shark and albacore tuna tend to accumulate more of the pollutant than species further down the food chain like perch.

On average, three times more mercury is falling from the sky today than before the Industrial Revolution 200 years ago, the researchers said.

The concentration of methylmercury in fish could decline as pollution is curbed, but the rate of decline could vary depending on the ecosystem.

The researchers said they hope the documents will help spread the best science on the environmental problem to policymakers worldwide. It was based on the findings of the Eighth International Conference on Mercury as a Global Pollutant that was held last August in the U.S.

well.. everything is bad for you.. coal.. nuclear... even the sun because of the solar radiation, possibly giving you skin cancer.

there are so many contaminants out there, the human body was strong, but because of their evolution in trying to make everything sterile and clean, they have protected them so much that even the smallest amount of poison will hurt them.

I ate around 3-5 cans of tuna a day when I use to body build, can't even look at it anymore.

And the boybuilding days are over too, but it looks like I got a couple dozen walleyes in my gut. :lol:

Time to start eating that mercury again I think.

If you catch a fish and stick the nose in the snow the cold will draw the mercury to the head which you cut off..... yea OK I know it is bull**it but it is an old wives tale that got to be kept alive.

Art