New Provincial Legislation

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if everyone has heard, but the Ontario government has been working on new HIGHWAY TRAFFIC ACT legislation.

According to the new legislation, all drivers 21 and under cannot operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration above Zero. That's right. If you're under 22 you can have any alcohol in your system.

The reason I'm posting this and I know people are going to jump all over this, but I wanted to clarify some misinformation from the media. I was listening to talk radio for the last few hours and they were making it seem that everything that was passed is Criminal Code. It's not. It Highway Traffic Act and will be treated as such. The legislation is inforced no different than the graduate licencing charges. If you have a G1 or G2 you cannot have a Blood Alcohol Concentration above Zero. You face a possible licence suspension and fine. Same thing will apply. Licence suspension and fine.

Furthermore, it will be investigated the same at the roadside. A roadside breat demand will be given and the blow box will give the results. The blow box is calabrated to give readings from .000 to .100 so from no alcohol to a fail.

There is also legislation changes to fine and point structures to speeding etc. I don't have the numbers yet but when I do, if you're interested I'll let you know. There are also changes to the sentencing for impaired drivers. Basically you can plead out to a one year ignition interlock system - basically you have to take a breath test everytime you start your car and every vehicle you drive has to have it installed.

Okay, don't shoot the messanger guys. I don't write the laws, I'm just trying to clarify a lot of the misinformation.

Dave

I am definitely interested in this part. I wonder what direction they are planning to go. The way the system is set up right now with the insurance companies, the smallest of offenses can have ridiculous consequences.

True, but when you look at other countries we have the weakest consequences.

15 over is austia is a $1500 fine

40km over in california is imprisonment overnight and $500

IMHO I'd like to see stiffer fines and penalties and the legal limit dropped to .05 like many other states/countries...

The actual fine structures have changed, but it has to do with the offences that carry 4 or more points. I don't have them in front of me and that is why I can advise anyone about it.

Can they make GPS mandatory for tourists??

I'm just glad I don't live in St. Catharines anymore... Too many old people driving below 40 KM/h in a 50...

I'd love to see a cop actually hand out an "impeding traffic" ticket, NEVER HAPPENS! And they should change the wording on the signs to just "THE SPEED" rather than the limit. As its not safe to go slower than the flow of traffic.

Actually the wording is "unnecessarily slow driving" and I have laid it! Lol

You guys could fix the national deficit with the amount of "unnecessarily slow driving" tickets you could hand out in the Niagara Region.

Actually the wording is "unnecessarily slow driving" and I have laid it! Lol

At times I dont mind following a few classic cars and the elders driving them!sat or sun on the lakeshores.Other than that,It drive me nuts!40 kms in an eighty zone on saturday in caledonia,the old guy slowed down 1/4 mile before the lights.

Im sure ill be there too one day,over cautious!

Probably senile Too!

I'm just glad I don't live in St. Catharines anymore... Too many old people driving below 40 KM/h in a 50...

I'd love to see a cop actually hand out an "impeding traffic" ticket, NEVER HAPPENS! And they should change the wording on the signs to just "THE SPEED" rather than the limit. As its not safe to go slower than the flow of traffic.

Funny you mention this. My own Grandfather got pulled over in Florida a number of years ago for the very same thing. Driving too slow and tying up traffic.

I do not understand how something can be more or less illegal depending on how old you are. Next thing you know they will double speeding fines for people under 25. I think we are brushing up against age discrimination here.

Anyways, I do not think drinking and driving should be tolerated. I also do not think it should be tolerated more or less depending how old you are.

I do not understand how something can be more or less illegal depending on how old you are. Next thing you know they will double speeding fines for people under 25. I think we are brushing up against age discrimination here.

Anyways, I do not think drinking and driving should be tolerated. I also do not think it should be tolerated more or less depending how old you are.

I think what the province was getting at and royally failed was targeting inexperienced drivers, hence targeting those who are under 21....but they failed. They are trying to extend what the graduated licencing does, but I don't think that they captured it at all. I understand what they're trying to do and I'm not necessarily in agreement with it but it is what it is. What the gov't needs to do is lower the legal limit and actually make sure the courts convict impaired drivers instead of letting them plea down to careless driving.

Meh, in my opinion there should be stiffer rules for driving under the influence. I don't think 1 beer affects driving. Doesn't for me.

I think harsher penalties and stiffer laws put in place will deter people from getting behind the wheel after drinking. 10's of thousands of dollars in fines, lawayer fees and a 3 year suspension for first offence. My guess there would be a hell of a lot less drunks on the road.

The chance of killing someone doesn't stop someone from getting behind the wheel.... Criminal Court Judges with backbones would be more of a deterrent...i've seen impaired cause death and impaired cause bodily harm get no jail time....

I agree. Most peoples thaughts would be " I can drive well, I wont kill anyone " and wham, behind the wheel they go. If they got busted and had to shell out 20,000 big ones, beleive me, they wouldn't risk it.

And this entire age discrimination thing... Lets be real here, most of the times you hear of accidents of drunk drving, its kids. Specifically males between 19 - 25, young, stupid, confident, invisible, going at 160 km/hr. Happened to a couple of buddies of mine, now they're dead, thankfully no innocent people died. I can bet you 75% people on this board have driven under the influence or been in a vehicle with someone under the influence. It happens every day.

To say they are targetoing young people is nuts, if you're 45 and get busted for drinking and drving you should be punished even harder for being around longer and supposedly knowing better! :tease:

I suppose this new law is a step forward in the right direction, unfortunately its a small step in a problem that needs a lot of work on.

FishnNAutographs for cheif!

I think what the province was getting at and royally failed was targeting inexperienced drivers, hence targeting those who are under 21....but they failed. They are trying to extend what the graduated licencing does, but I don't think that they captured it at all. I understand what they're trying to do and I'm not necessarily in agreement with it but it is what it is. What the gov't needs to do is lower the legal limit and actually make sure the courts convict impaired drivers instead of letting them plea down to careless driving.

Indeed. I do not know enough about what is the exact difference in the state of mind of .50 and .80, but I would agree that the judges have to start using there muscle a little more. I would like there to be no tolerance of repeat offenders, like dozer said a 40 year old should bloody well know better. I still think that there should be some leniency towards first time offenders but with strings attached.

I will say this though Dozer, to say that I am nuts for saying that they are targeting young people is ridiculous when the law clearly states that G1 or G2 license has a different amount of alcohol limit. G1 and G2 licenses are held by younger drivers generally and new Canadians I suppose. My main concern with the law as it stands now is this. It is almost saying if you have a certain amount of driving experience you are more capable of having a few and getting behind the wheel which sounds a bit odd to me and is why I would concede a point to FishnNAutographs about the .5 limit for everybody. However I would still openly say that I do not have enough knowledge to know what exactly is the difference between the frame of mind between a .5 and a .8 driver, which makes me wonder if the law was just fine as it was.

Anyways it is certainly interesting stuff and I appreciate the different insights on the matter.