Carpin'...old rod, new reel

Bill Shearer

Sweet! Beautiful carp. That fully scaled mirror is pretty wild. Very cool rod…Is it made of bamboo? Fiberglass?

Really appreciate this post. Makes me want to grab my pin and head to the local river for some carp – something I haven’t done for about 3yrs or so.

That's a sweet rod and a nice report . . . thanks for sharing!

I just started carping, I've only caught 5 carp now, but two of them were mirror carp, so they must not be THAT rare.

Ryan

Depends where you go and at what size. Some places have a better mirror/common ratio than others. For most places I fish, I get 1 mirror (over 10lbs) for every 200 or so commons. There are a couple ponds I know of where you can get 1 mirror for roughly every 10-20 commons but they are only 1/2lb-3lbs or so.

In the UK, the reverse is true where mirrors are more common than common carp :lol:

Depends where you go and at what size. Some places have a better mirror/common ratio than others. For most places I fish, I get 1 mirror (over 10lbs) for every 200 or so commons. There are a couple ponds I know of where you can get 1 mirror for roughly every 10-20 commons but they are only 1/2lb-3lbs or so.

In the UK, the reverse is true where mirrors are more common than common carp :lol:

I've been estimating the mirrors I've been catching in the 4 to 5 pound range.