Deep cycle battery

super dave

I need some help. I bought a used trolling motor last year with battery. I stored the battery fully charged but when I checked the charge it's almost dead. Is this normal? The guy I bought it from said to top it off with distiller water. How would I go about doing that? Should I charge first then top up? Or other way around? Any tips welcome. Thanks!!

I need some help. I bought a used trolling motor last year with battery. I stored the battery fully charged but when I checked the charge it's almost dead. Is this normal? The guy I bought it from said to top it off with distiller water. How would I go about doing that? Should I charge first then top up? Or other way around? Any tips welcome. Thanks!!

Pop off the tops and add the water with a turkey baster or small funnel. Don't over-fill, there should be a line, if not, just fill barely over the lead fins.

Fill it first then charge it. After charging check the levels and top up if necessary.

Right, fill first, then charge, otherwise you'll find that the fluid level comes up and hopefully not out of the battery. Only use distilled water, and, batteries discharge over time, you just missed a deal on a long term maintenance charger at CTC, the CTEC charger/maintainer can be left attached to the battery all winter, keeps it healthy. If you can't afford that, then at the very minimum, recharge your batteries once a month for a couple hours.

Edited by Fisherman