dag nabbit !!!

mercman

i need your advice doctors.

i am a die hard old school openfaced spin caster user, and i just got an 'ENTRY LEVEL' bait caster. a shimano callista. its a nice little reel, but how can i avoid the rackin frackin birds nests. the guy at sail baron set me up with tilene xl 12 lb mono, but its as if its too stiff and comes un done way too easily. any sugestions ~~~~ should i change line or just go back to my flueger o/f.

mellow.gif

letout as much line as you think you can cast then add 25ft more then take black electrical tape and put 2 raps around the spool and reel the line back in

now no more bird nests till you learn to do it right

Since your a beginner I would change the line and use something a little heavier try 16/17

Take a bait and tie it on,tighten the spool tension knob all the way down now release the bail and slow loosen the knob until the bait falls gently to the floor and the spool stops spinning.

When casting use your thumb as a brake, just before the bait hits the water stop the spool with your thumb.

As you get some practice in you will be able to loosen the tension knob a bit and gain some distance.

And one more tip try to avoid casting into a heavy wind even experienced casters can have problems with the wind.

No one above mentioned one thing, Practice.

I started baitcasters just this year, and really thought I had most of the basics at home such as using the thumb and pitching.

The second I got out on the water, I found that I could probably only cast 20 feet if I'm lucky and I still haven't figured out pitching accurately and stealthily.

I find the easiest way to start would be to use something heavy at first - a half ounce frog/spinnerbait is pretty good to start with.

Set your brakes, and spool tension and start with light casts to figure out the trajectory. With each cast, you should be gaining some confidence and you should be throwing things farther and start getting less backlashes.

There are only two things that cause a backlash.

Number one is the spool turns faster than the bait is taking the line out.

Number two is the spool keeps turning after the bait has hit the water.

On the side of your reel opposite the crank is a magnetic brake. This brake moderates the speed of the spool especially at the start of the cast so that it doesn't out accelerate the bait...To get started turn this on all the way.

Under the crank handle there will be a knurled knob. When this is tightened it applies pressure to the end of the spool shaft. This pressure will slow the spool at the end of the cast so that it stops when the bait stops.

To get started, tighten this so that when you release the spool the bait settles to the ground/water and the spool stops.

You are now ready for your first cast. Turn your wrist slightly so that the reel handle faces up at a 45 degree angle. If you chose to use the wrong handed reel, you will have to have the handles facing down, so be careful not to foal them on anything.

Pick a spot that is up at about a 45 degree. Something like a cloud in the sky or the top of a tree will work nicely. Make a cast toward that object...This high target will compensate for the time between when you think about releasing the spool and when your thumb actually moves.

Try to keep you elbows down, stretching your arms out will not add distance to your cast.

You will soon get the timing, but use the cloud trick to get started...

The cast should go out in an arc, then the bait will die in the air and fall to that water with no tangles in the line.

The cast dies in the air because you are using too much braking and you can back each brake off a little once you become comfortable with the mechanics of casting this type of reel.

If you get in the habit of stopping the spool with your thumb as the bait reaches the target, in time the friction brake might be loosened off all the way and completely replaced by your thumb. The magnetic brake can be backed off until you see loose line on the spool or hear the line flapping during the cast.

You might use extra mag.brake casting into the wind etc. but that is part of the next lesson...GRIN.

Good Luck

There are only two things that cause a backlash.

Number one is the spool turns faster than the bait is taking the line out.

Number two is the spool keeps turning after the bait has hit the water.

On the side of your reel opposite the crank is a magnetic brake. This brake moderates the speed of the spool especially at the start of the cast so that it doesn't out accelerate the bait...To get started turn this on all the way.

Under the crank handle there will be a knurled knob. When this is tightened it applies pressure to the end of the spool shaft. This pressure will slow the spool at the end of the cast so that it stops when the bait stops.

To get started, tighten this so that when you release the spool the bait settles to the ground/water and the spool stops.

You are now ready for your first cast. Turn your wrist slightly so that the reel handle faces up at a 45 degree angle. If you chose to use the wrong handed reel, you will have to have the handles facing down, so be careful not to foal them on anything.

Pick a spot that is up at about a 45 degree. Something like a cloud in the sky or the top of a tree will work nicely. Make a cast toward that object...This high target will compensate for the time between when you think about releasing the spool and when your thumb actually moves.

Try to keep you elbows down, stretching your arms out will not add distance to your cast.

You will soon get the timing, but use the cloud trick to get started...

The cast should go out in an arc, then the bait will die in the air and fall to that water with no tangles in the line.

The cast dies in the air because you are using too much braking and you can back each brake off a little once you become comfortable with the mechanics of casting this type of reel.

If you get in the habit of stopping the spool with your thumb as the bait reaches the target, in time the friction brake might be loosened off all the way and completely replaced by your thumb. The magnetic brake can be backed off until you see loose line on the spool or hear the line flapping during the cast.

You might use extra mag.brake casting into the wind etc. but that is part of the next lesson...GRIN.

Good Luck

Follow all of the above tips Paul and if you still have problems, pop into my place and I'll show you how to use it.

i will roy. thats a promise. soon as i get my year end over with we is gonna get together. thanks bud.....tight linesGonefishing.gif