Deep Cycle Battery

Guest LivingLegend

Guest LivingLegend

This is my 1st deep cycle battery ( Optima blue top D34M dual ). I understanding charging it correctly is important so my question is: Is it a good idea once I decide to charge it to turn on the motor and let it die out completely? I think its almost due for its 1st charge time and i was gonna just let it run until the prop stopped spinning. Pls advise...........

Thanx! Gonefishing.gif

That battery is not recommended for deep cycle application:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/charging.php

OPTIMA BlueTop Charging Information

The following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life - always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.

BlueTop Type: 34M

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

That battery is not recommended for deep cycle application:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/charging.php

OPTIMA BlueTop Charging Information

The following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life - always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.

BlueTop Type: 34M

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

That is incorrect. The D34M is designed for Deep Cycle.

Get a proper charger! http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/BatteryChargersAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111522P/CTEK%252BMulti-use%252B3300%252B3.3A%252BBattery%252BCharger.jsp

You should never drain the battery entirely, unless circumstances force you to. After your done using it, just charge it back up again at a low amperage. When I went to the Interstate warehouse the guy recommended using a CTEK charger.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Your battery is not the same as a lithium battery it does not need to be discharged fully to correct a memory issue. A proper way to get the best life from the battery is to discharge it with your natural fishin trip and then recharge it as soon as you can with a 3 stage charger. A full battery does not have a negative chemical reaction going and does not shorten its life. Keeping the battery on an approved charger plugged in will keep it fully charged and ready for action.

Art

Guest LivingLegend

Awesome guys, thanks for the info! Yes it is dual not just a true deep cycle but its nice and compact, fits into my fishing kayak like a glove. I will run it out during my next fishing adventure and stick it on the charger at 2amp trickle.

Thanx again!!! smile.gif

Guest LivingLegend

Sure, I guess optima doesn't know what they making clapping.gif

thumbsup_anim.gif

It is for both starting and deep cycle applications. I have a three stage charger and will charge it on the lowest amp (2amp).

Guest LivingLegend

Sure, I guess optima doesn't know what they making clapping.gif

Forgot to add that the blue top battery with dark grey case isnt for deep cycle like the website you posted......but the blue top light grey case is the dual for both starting and deep cycle.