Dipsy's and line?

siwash

If you go to spoonpullers.com or lakeontariounited, they can will tell you anything you want to know, and there are subboards there with lots of info. I found good information there myself.

happy trollin

Hey folks,

For you salmon trollers out there, what type of line do you use as back when using a dipsy and how many yards and pound test?

Hey folks,

For you salmon trollers out there, what type of line do you use as back when using a dipsy and how many yards and pound test?

I use 50 lb power pro till the flea shows up then its wire rods and 30 lb mono rods with my dipsys

1000ft of 30lb wire will load a 30 size reel good

i have 1000 feet of 50lb braid on my braid dipsy reel

and the spool is filled with 30lb mono on my mono dipsy reel

mono dipsy worked well for me last year... just make sure you check your release tension, reeling an untripped dipsy in 300 feet is not fun...

Braid works well, but not in the summer due to bad fleas that prevent you from reeling in your line. 30lb Mason stainless stranded wire in 1000' spool is perfect as mentioned. Also, 30lb Flea Flicker can be good for a mono dipsy. I have also done well on mono Dipsy rods.

Good fishing, the kings are huge this year!

I second spoonpullers for more info on knots and specifics.

I was running 30lb copolymer for a few tears. can't find in heavy weights any more.

It would take about 3 years before the fleas would stick and the only Mono I found

That would pop a dipsy at 200ft plus.I use big game now It's not great for really bad years

of the flea.But it holds up great. I have use flea flicker. But I'm have problems with it's

memory.Every punch I have bought has let the swivel to kick over and jam. Causing the line to twist.

Having the same problem on the down rigger rods also.

1000ft of 30lb wire will load a 30 size reel good

i have 1000 feet of 50lb braid on my braid dipsy reel

and the spool is filled with 30lb mono on my mono dipsy reel

mono dipsy worked well for me last year... just make sure you check your release tension, reeling an untripped dipsy in 300 feet is not fun...

What do you mean by a "30 size reel"?

I have a Penn GTi 320 (in addition to a few other reels). Would that work? I really don't want to spend on more reels. I have to "heavy action" 7' baitcasting/trolling rods that I have used with leadcore.

Are we talking the steel line that many people use for lake trout trolling?

Is a reel counter necessary? I guess you need one to determine how far back the dipsey is??

dipsy rods are typically at least 8'6 or longer in length. They have a medium-heavy or heavy action.

the 'cone thingy' is also called a 'twilly tip'. they can be bought and attached to your dipsy rod if using wire line.

if you are referring to those old school short stubby wire rods for lakers this is a completely different animal.

a line counter is not an absolute neccessary -- you can count 'wraps' to determine how much line you have out and repeat if you catch something. however, it sure is super convenient when you are letting out so much line and you will want one.

Edited by Raf

It's a 6' rod and yes, the twilly tip is what I was referring to... Will that rod suffice or is it too short?

And as for line counters how about one of those counters you can buy separately? I assume the simply attach to your reel. I suppose I could go out and spend $100+ on a new reel, but I'd rather not.

I ran braid for a year then the massive flea magnet that braid is, made me switch to flea flicker or 30lb+ mono on my dipsy's

But the stretch on mono for the last few years have driven me to wire, its a pain to pop the dipsey when changing up.

I highly recommend getting a roller rod and some wire for dipseys you won't be disappointed. Or get a copper rod setup and run it straight off the back.

I ran braid for a year then the massive flea magnet that braid is, made me switch to flea flicker or 30lb+ mono on my dipsy's

But the stretch on mono for the last few years have driven me to wire, its a pain to pop the dipsey when changing up.

I highly recommend getting a roller rod and some wire for dipseys you won't be disappointed. Or get a copper rod setup and run it straight off the back.

Copper doesn't interest me. It will require new, huge reel and I am out there most of the time alone.. 75% of the time. Copper is a pain to reel in when it's only you manning the show.

I have two rigger rods and leadcore and now I want to add the dipsey. One of my riggers rods will be set up with a SWR this weekend, so I will have a total of 4 potential variations of presentation.

Get a 10' roller rod like a Okuma Blue Diamond, run stainless steel stranded(7+) wire 30lb on your dipsey.

Any fleas that collect will be smashed by the rollers. I run this setup, its great.

2 dispys on wire, riggers on 30lb flea flicker, and copper out the back for the full spread. Copper collects the fleas too, a roller rod helps, but the abrasion of the stranded copper on the guides is decent enough to keep the fleas crushed when they aren't too bad.