lifejacket requirements

greenfshrmn

Just a heads-up as regards the inflateable lifejackets that are getting so popular these days. I was stopped by the OPP in my boat this evening. The officer informed me that as of June 1st it is a $250 ticket if your inflateable jacket is not being worn. It is not acceptable to just have the jacket handy, it must be on your body at all times when you are in the boat. There is no fine if you use the 'normal' jackets, but even they must be beside you, and not stowed in a locker. Of course, it goes without saying that we should all have our life jackets on at all times anyways. Safe boating.

That is the same law down here in PA. Just completed my boater safety course this past week-end, and that very issue was addressed in the course. Must have one life jacket/vest for every person in the boat. The inflatable kind only count if they are being worn. If you don't have it on - you don't have a life jacket.

Years ago I bought a floater coat, good idea as I fished Lake Ontario solo a lot in colder water. At the time I also duck hunted so I thought the camo version a good colour but there was a warning that the camo version was not approved as a life saving device, enquiring further it seems that to be approved it had to be of a highly visible colour like orange or yellow, made a lot of sense from a search and rescue standpoint and I got the orange. Today I see a lot of vests, especially the inflateables in navy blue, green and black. My question, has the colour issue been relaxed or eliminated ? or are you still required to have proper hi viz vests in addition to the less restrictive, stylish coloured coordinated vests ? Also, vests were designed with size and weight stipulations, 4 adult vests don't cut it if there are 4 on board and 2 of them are small children.

Edited by dave524

Years ago I bought a floater coat, good idea as I fished Lake Ontario solo a lot in colder water. At the time I also duck hunted so I thought the camo version a good colour but there was a warning that the camo version was not approved as a life saving device, enquiring further it seems that to be approved it had to be of a highly visible colour like orange or yellow, made a lot of sense from a search and rescue standpoint and I got the orange. Today I see a lot of vests, especially the inflateables in navy blue, green and black. My question, has the colour issue been relaxed or eliminated ? or are you still required to have proper hi viz vests in addition to the less restrictive, stylish coloured coordinated vests ? Also, vests were designed with size and weight stipulations, 4 adult vests don't cut it if there are 4 on board and 2 of them are small children.

The bladder that inflates is bright yellow,so you would be visible to S&R.

Edited by jdm66

The bladder that inflates is bright yellow,so you would be visible to S&R.

It does need to be on to be considered a part of your lifejacket supply. If you don't want to wear it while your boat is not in motion, just get a regular certified PFD to hang on your chair. I wear my inflator all the time.Don't even notice it is on.

It does need to be on to be considered a part of your lifejacket supply. If you don't want to wear it while your boat is not in motion, just get a regular certified PFD to hang on your chair. I wear my inflator all the time.Don't even notice it is on.

Thankyou Rick and JDM, I had no experience with inflateables and didn't know about the bladder. I assume camo floatercoats are still not legal PFD's even though the construction is identical because of the colour. Seriously entertaining one of the inflateables even though my boating days are over, not as steady wading any more and the reduced pension would cramp the wife's style if I went down :w00t:

"not as steady wading any more and the reduced pension would cramp the wife's style if I went down"

I just got an inflatable for that very reason, Dave! :thumbsup_anim:

That, and the fact I have a trip planned in the fall.

Now at issue for me, is that my trip is in the US, and for that reason I got a US Coast Guard approved inflatable, (Stearns website)fair price, compared to here, but of course, when using it in Canada, on a boat, I'll still have to have a Canadian Coast Guard approved jacket beside me, to be legal. :wallbash:

I guess Canadians float different than Americans? :huh:

How will I float when in the US? Like an American? or...... :blink: now I am confused <_<

I assume camo floatercoats are still not legal PFD's even though the construction is identical because of the colour.

You make assumptions when in fact you should be going and doing some research and find out how long ago the rules regarding approved colours were changed.