GPS and Maps for Ontario

Nemo

Looking at picking up a handheld GPS to use both on the water and the road.

Would like

• Waterproof
  • Maps for water and roads etc.
  • Run on regular batteries
  • Easy to use
  • Compass and Barometric pressure.

Would love to know what everyone uses and what the pro's, con's, costs, retailers.

Thanks in advance.

I

I still use and old Garmin Etrex Legend. I can load topographic, hydrographic and street maps on it. Runs on two AAs, is water-resistent, has compass but no baro. It's likely one of the cheapest options out there at just over 100.

Cons are it's a small, monochrome screen. For trekking through the woods, boat use it's fine. For driving you will want a dedicated unit.

Honestly, there's really only one choice and it's the GPSMAP 60csx by Garmin. I have the 60cx and the only thing it doesn't have is electronic compass and barometric altimeter of the 60csx. Wish I would have spent the extra $50! Sweet color screen, super long battery life on AA, especially if you use good batteries like 2500mah rechargeables, almost instant signal, and lots of map options. Bluechart and City navigator from Garmin are good and can be found for free if you know where to look. Ibycus Topo is also free, made by a guy in Calgary and downloadable via bittorrent. It's up to version 3.2 now, and lots of improvements in the data/accuracy of the maps.

I have the Garmin 60csx, but if you want it for road and trail as well, the Oregon series is much better. Not to mention the fact that the GPSMap series (60,76, etc) do not handle multiple maps on the same sim card well at all. The higher end Oregon series with more internal memory will allow you to rename the mapsets to 3 seperate file names that the GPS will recognize (gmapsupp, gmapprom and another I forget) which basically means you'll be able to go into the setup and pick which map you want to use...

In order to switch maps on the 76 and 60, you need separate sim cards or you'll be doing it manually via computer before you head out on the road.

Edited by BillM

Not to mention the fact that the GPSMap series (60,76, etc) do not handle multiple maps on the same sim card well at all.

Hey Bill, not sure what your workflow is like but I'll describe mine and how I get multiple maps on my 60cx.

• Install MapSource software that comes with your Garmin
  • Download/Buy maps (this won't work if you're downloading compiled files from torrent sites, you need installable maps)
  • Install maps onto computer
  • Open MapSource software and confirm installation of maps
  • Unlock maps; You will need to unlock the maps for MapSource and your device. This is really simple using the instructions provided with your download.
  • Once you have multiple mapsets installed on your computer and unlocked open MapSource and use the Map Select Tool to select which parts of which maps you want. I have a 1GB MicroSD card which I have not been able to fill up with over 1000 waypoints, tracks, routes, and maps.
  • Once you have selected which parts of each mapset you want, load them to the GPS.
  • On the GPS, go to the Map Setup, Maps tab, press the Menu button and it will pop up a list saying "Hide BlueChart" or "Show Ibycus Topo". It's best to only display one mapset at a time as it can slow the unit down.

PM me if you want more info

Edited by bdox

[*]Install MapSource software that comes with your Garmin

[*]Download/Buy maps (this won't work if you're downloading compiled files from torrent sites, you need installable maps)

With a bit of motivation, these maps can be downloaded, unlocked, and installed, just gotta know how.

I have a Garmin Colorado handheld that I got from MEC for dirt cheap. There are much better units out there, but I have no complaints as it meets every need I have and more. The only downside is its pretty awkward to use as a primary driving device, but I rarely need directions in the car anyway.

Spend the extra dollar on a good handheld, save the extra dollar by downloading maps, I have the newest TopoCanada maps and they are all I use for driving, fishing, geocaching, you name it. I just can't justify spending 200-300$ on map packs that are readily available online.

Hey Bill, not sure what your workflow is like but I'll describe mine and how I get multiple maps on my 60cx.

• Install MapSource software that comes with your Garmin
  • Download/Buy maps (this won't work if you're downloading compiled files from torrent sites, you need installable maps)
  • Install maps onto computer
  • Open MapSource software and confirm installation of maps
  • Unlock maps; You will need to unlock the maps for MapSource and your device. This is really simple using the instructions provided with your download.
  • Once you have multiple mapsets installed on your computer and unlocked open MapSource and use the Map Select Tool to select which parts of which maps you want. I have a 1GB MicroSD card which I have not been able to fill up with over 1000 waypoints, tracks, routes, and maps.
  • Once you have selected which parts of each mapset you want, load them to the GPS.
  • On the GPS, go to the Map Setup, Maps tab, press the Menu button and it will pop up a list saying "Hide BlueChart" or "Show Ibycus Topo". It's best to only display one mapset at a time as it can slow the unit down.

PM me if you want more info

A bit more on the subjuect of loading multiple maps (this pertains the to the Oregon but I assume it would be the same for the 60cx)

"Mapsource transfers the map set to the Oregon as single file called gmapsupp.img which is stored in [OR drive]:\Garmin or [OR SD drive]:\Garmin . Every time you repeat the process above you delete the previous map set and replace it with a new map set. Maps cannot be added or removed incrementally using Mapsource.

This implies that if you are trying to load maps from multiple Mapsource products (i.e. Topo2008 and City Navigator) that you will need to include map regions from both products in the same map set. Mapsource supports this by allowing you to select the first Mapsource product via a drop down menu in the upper left corner, pick map regions from this product using the Map tool, select a second product and pick map regions from this product before compiling the map set and transferring to the Oregon."

From https://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/page/code/Maps

Yeah, that's how it's done to add multiple map products to all models that don't support more than 1 map file. You can combine everything into one big file and enable/disable whatever you want. There's a hierarchy that determines which map is shown if they are all enabled. If you want to use a map for an area that you've included 3 or 4 products for, and you want to use the map with the lowest hierarchy (for example topo is very low), you must disable everything that's higher level. Another trick that some people do is put individual files on the same memory card (a map file up to 4Gb is supported by some older models with the newer firmware) Store the maps under different names then put the card into a phone to rename them as required.

I've heard there's a way to incrementally add to map files by importing your custom map files back into mapsource with maptoolkit but it's not worth my time to learn how to do it when I can just as easily rebuild the whole file from scratch.

Edited by j ace

• 2 weeks later...

Attention Outdoor enthusiasts.

Backroad Mapbooks is pleased to announce the release of our maps on an SD card for your Garmin GPS unit. You can find out all about them here: www.gpsmaps.ca I invite you to take a look, ask questions, discuss and most importantly enjoy!

Expect More:

• Routable Backroads Backroads & Bush Road Systems
  • Trail Systems (Snowmobile Routes, ATV Trails & Hiking)
  • Lakes, streams & Rivers with access information
  • 1:10,000 and 1:20,000 Scale Maps
  • Wildlife management areas for anglers and hunters
  • Searchable City & Rural Streets
  • Searchable Recreation Information

Tracks...

Backroad Mapbooks Team

Edited by Backroad Mapbooks