Humbled by my eleven year old!

Fisherpete

My son Nick (age 11) and I headed out for a quick evening fish. Wifey came along for the ride and to be the photographer. Traffic turned out to be horrible, and we lost half an hour of fishing time as a result. On the water at 6:30pm or so.

My infamous words: Here Nick, take my favourite lure and try it today.

Moments later, Nick`s rod goes off hard... and soon, his second musky ever is in the cradle, a chunky 36 incher. The picture looks extremely bloody, but she was only lip hooked and released perfectly.

DSCN1859.jpg

In the next hour, Nick hooked 3 more, but all of them came off on jumps. One looked to be a good one, might have made 40 inches. Nick was a tad slow on all of them getting the rod out of the holder - gotta get those hooks in early to have the best chance at landing them! One of the hooks on the lucky lure was pretty wonky too, that might have contributed. I was starting to get more than a wee bit jealous, but being the nice guy that I am let the kiddo keep using the lucky lure lol...

Moments later, once AGAIN, Nick`s rod starts screaming... and this time he quickly grabs it out of the holder and drives the hook home hard. Number two soon finds the cradle... a 30 incher or so. She got let go without ever leaving the water. The lucky lure now sits at the bottom of the lake... without us noticing, she had cut the line with her teeth during the release, and when Nick went to cast, there was nothing there! Oh well, it was pretty mangled anyway - that lure had 15 muskies to its credit in the past few weeks! I put on another of the same lure (but a different colour), and we resumed the hunt.

DSCN1863-2.jpg

Dad now seriously buggin for a ski... and is rewarded with a slot sized walleye on a musky lure... AGAIN! Three consecutive trips on this lake that this has happened! Lucky for Mr. Pickereye that there was no cooler in the boat tonight... so splash, in she went. I got desperate at this point, and switched up lures several times... and FINALLY, got rewarded for my efforts with a musky. This girl was long and skinny... but I was happy. (And relieved)

DSCN1864.jpg

It soon got dark, and the mosquitos were out in droves. I told Nick to reel her in, let`s go... and as he was cranking it in, he got slammed again! Not a big fish, but scrappy. Again, boatside release... and this time my jaw spreaders were a casualty. *sigh* Yet another offering to the fish gods... oh well, they are cheap. And now I know the lucky lure in a different colour works too...

DSCN1867.jpg

Final tally : Nick 3 for 6, with the heaviest fish. Dad aka Fisherpete 1 for 1, with the longest fish and a bonus walleye (hey, on this day I will take whatever small victories I can, ok!!!)

I`m off to the kitchen now, to eat another slice of humble pie. Have I mentioned yet how many times today Nick has reminded me that he fished my a$$ off!!!!

The quest for 50 continues...

Edited by Fisherpete

Guest Johnny Bass

Good stuff. Looks like Nick is having a great season! Hopefully those are lures that are still on the market and you can load up on them! Just let me know what they are and I can pick up some for you at BPS. :)

BPS does not carry them... <_<

I'm working on getting more, I am a man with a plan... and I still have the one in the other colour to tide me over until then...

You available next week for a day trip Johnny? Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. Send me a PM. Let's go nail that tanker we saw earlier this year...

Guest Johnny Bass

BPS does not carry them... <_<

I'm working on getting more, I am a man with a plan... and I still have the one in the other colour to tide me over until then...

You available next week for a day trip Johnny? Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. Send me a PM. Let's go nail that tanker we saw earlier this year...

We will see. I have 5 people that want to fish with me next week. But we will definitely hook up soon!

Goin tomorrow!

I`m off to the kitchen now, to eat another slice of humble pie. Have I mentioned yet how many times today Nick has reminded me that he fished my a$$ off!!!!

I knows the feeling. 10 Years from now your son is still going to be saying " remember that time I fished your a$$ off and showed you how it's done?" :P

This is how the legends of the great white angler begin. :tease:

All the same you and your son had a great day together. You will just have to get used to eating chilled crow :w00t:

Edited by bigugli