Can a new car starter wrongly installed drain a battery

mr blizzard

We just had a new starter installed. The next day the car would not start :wallbash: . The volt meter on the dash was way down. The battery was new last year. The alternator 3 years old. Prior to the starter replacement The volt meter hardly moved. It is in our driveway and I am refusing to pay to tow it back to the garage. The mechanic refuses any blame. We rarely deal with him but after using a stick and hammer to loosen the old starer which work, we took it to him as he is 1/4 mile away. Thanks for any help. The starter was new not rebuilt.

maybe the starter solenoid is broken/shorted out. if thats the case it will leave the starter engaged and drain the battery. if you can get it started that may fix it, just hope the gear doesn't stay engaged.

you could also just be unlucky and the alternator could have pooched on you aswell.

Edited by alexcba

It would be hard to wire a starter incorrectly, many have just the one wire with the solenoid mounted elsewhere.

Is it possible the battery was partially discharged and the 1/4 mile drive back home wasn't enough to recharge the battery?

Make sure the battery cables are tight.

What was wrong with the starter that was replaced?

Dan

most likey its the battery and unrelated to the repair, but check the cables for tightness first, as batterys usually fail the first couple hot days of the year (avaerage battery life these days appears to be about 3 years

yea seems that the mechanic did his job. Just luck of the draw that the battery died at the same time. Check your battery terminals, if it's caked with white stuff disconnect both terminals and clean it with a wire brush. Even if you boost your engine your alternator is only putting out just enough to keep it at the current charge level. You still need to put it on a battery charger to get a full charge on the battery.

the mechanic would've had to disconnect the battery to do the starter. make sure he tightened it back up properly. other than that, this weather really is hard on batteries, we had 3 cars towed in today where the battery up and quit on them. 40c ABOVE 0 is just as harmful to batteries as 40c BELOW 0 is.

ryan

Thanks everyone for your input. I work on my own and work has been slow, compounded with payments for my sons braces :wallbash::tease: . Just want to make sure I am covering the bases before I get taken advantage of. Money is still tight for many people. Thanks again, I really appreciate your taking the time to help. That's what OFNers are all about.

We just had a new starter installed. The next day the car would not start wallbash.gif . The volt meter on the dash was way down. The battery was new last year. The alternator 3 years old. Prior to the starter replacement The volt meter hardly moved. It is in our driveway and I am refusing to pay to tow it back to the garage. The mechanic refuses any blame. We rarely deal with him but after using a stick and hammer to loosen the old starer which work, we took it to him as he is 1/4 mile away. Thanks for any help. The starter was new not rebuilt.

I came across this a few times at work mr bliz.a possible bare spot on the main battery cable,after installing the starter the cable may be close enough to the frame to drain the battery.The tech while undoing the cables caused an arch,shorting out a cell.Was the water level up on the battery.Is there a bare wire in any live circuits while the vehicle is in the off position.Too many more to list.A new starter can be faulty as well.If you paid a core charge then its not new!No core charge, then its brand new!

Even the moisture on the battery or a wet sticker can slowly drain it over time.

Simple things first, check the battery connections, and the ground connection.Charge the battery and see if it holds a charge, if it does not, you need a new one. Then start looking around for bare spots and the like, the alternator could be gone, there are tons of things that could be the culprit. Start with easy stuff first.

did the battery only die once or does it go dead every night?what has happened in my shop before is when the car was in the shop.the battery went dead for some reason(usual the key was left on for a while)it was only boosted to get the car going but not charged properly .so when you drove the car home the battery was not charged enough .1/4 mile is not that far so the alt may not have time to charge the battery good enough for it to sit over night.you need to give the battery a good charge and see if it goes dead again. if it goes dead again you probably have a draw of some sort that will need to be diagnosed.I can say that i haven't seen many starters draw and not make a lot of noise(like the starter continuously running)testing the battery when it is fully charged is not a bad idea also

hope this helps

travis

Like others have mentioned.Start with the easy stuff.The tech when he replaced the starter should of only disconnected the battery cables and starter cables.So start there!Charge the battery then do an av test at a ctc or parts source(no charge).The load test will tell you if the battery is shot.Without seeing the vehicle or doing random checks,That all I can really do for you.

P S Check to see if the battery is swollen on the sides.If it is get rid of it.Shes cooked!

Thanks again to everyone who responded including Big Buck and Travis. It was the starter wire touching the frame. The starter, battery and alternator were ok. I guess he was in a rush, being the mechanic. Apparently he did not do a draw test after installing. Thanks again for your help. Cheers. Let it snow let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!

a draw test isnt normally something you do after you do a job like that. at least, *I* havent seen anybody do it (been in the trade 10 or so years now). these things happen, its how its handled after the fact that makes the difference. with mechanics, as with all people... mistakes happen. glad everything worked out, and that you got taken care of. not everybody is out to rip people off :)

ryan