NF Plumbing Question

John Bacon

For some reason the builder of my house installed combined bathtub/shower type fixtures in my shower only stall.

It has a faucet at the bottom with a pin it. If you want the water to come out of the upper shower faucet you have to pull the pin up in the lower faucet and the water will come out the top. Of course since it is a shower stall and not a bath tub; I always want the water to come out the top.

I would like to get rid of the lower faucet which is completely useless anyways. I am planning to have the shower stall re-tiled, so this is the time to do it. If I cut the pipe and remove the lower faucet altogether will the other controls still work for a shower head only or will I have to replace all of the plumbing?

Actually ...before to eliminate it ....the lower tap is called a toe tester ...so you get the right temp on your foot then step in ....its there for a reason ....now if you have no intentions on selling your house then eliminate it ...but if your selling ...its a perk ....i install them in the upper end houses i build...

sometimes it just needs a reason to make sense

Cheers

In 30 years the only time I have seen a tub spout in a shower is when the homeowner did his own plumbing and messed up. If the tile work has to come out then take a 1/2 cap and sweat it to the pipe feeding the tub spout it will make it a shower only valve then. Careful though the 25 cent cap might cause you to have to skip a few meals to pay for it. :blink:

Art

In 30 years the only time I have seen a tub spout in a shower is when the homeowner did his own plumbing and messed up. If the tile work has to come out then take a 1/2 cap and sweat it to the pipe feeding the tub spout it will make it a shower only valve then. Careful though the 25 cent cap might cause you to have to skip a few meals to pay for it. :blink:

Art

No need to skip any meals... my parents live close by, I can just eat there a few times :whistling:

I'll start saving for the cap... I hope the pipes are copper because I don't have the tools for plastic.

Very rare for the pipe from the shower valve to the tub spout to anything else but copper it needs to be rigid to keep the spout from moving. However I have seen a few galvanized pipe ones in the older houses.

Have mom and pops feed you steak and lobster that way it will be only one meal and dessert will be nothing but profit.

Art