Fishing Report, Sparrow again.

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

On Saturday was supposed to go out with a few OFNers but already made plans with my friend, so where did we go? Her favorite lake,Sparrow of course. Late start, on the water by 9:30.Couldn't rent the boat out at the regular place because he was sold out, so went elsewhere.

Caught 3 pike in one bay(on a spinner bait) that we have done well but the bass were nowhere to be seen. Then it slowed down.

Tried bucktail ripping with only one bite off to show. Tried jig and pigging, nothing. Tried worms and flukes and spinner baits. Nothing.

We tried to work the weedlines but the wind made it impossible. It was supposed to be 10K but it was more like 20k.

We decided to head in the river. The boat traffic on a saturday is insane. There was no way you could cover the shore without a trolling motor. I did manage a small smallie on a dock and a small largie flippin a tube jig to some lumber.We worked our way down river and when we had enough of the boat traffic we headed back out.

When we were on the main lake? My friend saw 2 seagulls she said were locked(she thought they were mating.lol). I look over and I see 2 birds stuck together by a rapala. She tells me to go help them, so I go to help them. I'm thinking I will get pecked but what the heck. I went ashore.It was strange as I was approaching them? One tried to swim closer to me the other one tried to swim away. I almost had them and they got away. Then I tried to grab them again. The one was trying to swim closer and she was almost on shore and the other one pulled them away, and last second the other makes a power flap to make it on shore and I grab her. its like she knew I was trying to help her.

I grabbed her and she didn't resist.One of the trebles were stuck in her leg and the other 2 in the other ones wings. I tried to get the hook out without hurting her and on the second try it came out! I was happy!!! Then I grabbed the other one and she was trying to peck at me but she couldn't reach. The first hook came out easily but the second was in there good. I tried and tried and tried and I eventually got it out. But the wing was already broken.

The other one I'm telling you, was following me around like it had just made a friend. It was peculiar.lol Every where I went, she followed.

Anyways, here are some vague pics of the birds and the lure. The girl is near the shore and the other one is on top

Sparrowsucks011.jpg

Here is the culprit.

Sparrowsucks012.jpg

It was a tough day because of the wind. I caught 4 pike and 4 bass. Nothing spectacular. She got skunked... This time we didn't have the 15 H.P. from walleye guy. We had a 9.9 that felt like a 5h.p. and we ran out of gas around 6:30. Threw the buzz bait around the marina and was able to raise one large fish but he missed it completely.

Talked to one guy and he said he killed the pike in the deep channel. Said he caught a 14 lber. Whether he exaggerated, was a musky or did catch one that big, I don't know.

Next time it is windy I will chuck spinner baits all day.

I seen another guy pull out a 4lb+ bass on a live minnow and put it on a stringer.......He also had another small pike and bass there too.

Here is a few pictures of some average fish just to make the report more interesting.

Sparrowsucks005.jpg

Sparrowsucks007.jpg

Sparrowsucks013.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the report.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Nice going Johnny.... great report :thumbsup_anim:

Good on you for freeing them birds :clapping:

Haven't been out bassin this year yet..... well I shouldn't say that, caught a few of them OOS pre season opener :blush:

They certainly aren't holding in the same area as last season this year.... most bodies of water are below norm up here making for a tough byte :wallbash:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. Ya SBK. My friend said the same thing. He would have ran them over with the prop. He hates seagulls.lol At least I got some brownie points with my friend. ;)

Thanks Steverobotham. I feel ALOT better now.lol I need to get a boat. I miss my trolling motor, fish finder and drift sock......

Edited by Johnny Bass

• 1 month later...