The Wealthy Barber

Radnine

I don't care that the government may not see it (False accusation without proof btw). A barber works hard and I think he deserves 14 dollars for his services.

If you are a small business owner you would understand how hard it is to make a go of it and if you followed the rules to a T you wouldnt eat. If you arent a smalll business owner then you wouldn't understand.

If you have to cheat to survive then get a new job!

Plastic bags at the grocery store are now 6 cents and not 5

:blink:

Are you in Orillia or Toronto? If not, the store is NOT required to charge for them.

Thank them the next time you're in there for taking more of your money :)

Are you in Orillia or Toronto? If not, the store is NOT required to charge for them.

Thank them the next time you're in there for taking more of your money :)

Im in Toronto... all grocery stores charge for bags around here.

But not to take away from this thread..My haircuts went from 12 to 14 also.. :glare:

Im in Toronto... all grocery stores charge for bags around here.

But not to take away from this thread..My haircuts went from 12 to 14 also.. :glare:

My wife works at a chain hair salon and their cuts went up the but the employees hourly pay/bonus structure stayed the same. Gotta love big business! The HST does work out for them :clapping:

im folically deprived... :angry: ...now i feel better cuz im saving even more then the cost of shampoo...( reminds me )...try to talk the ole lady into a "Sinead O Connor" look again ..

Seriously though ...14 bucks???? everytime my wife goes it cost at least 50...maybe 60 now...but its money well spend if it makes her feel good...

on a side note ...do you think you didnt catch fish ...because of a terrible haircut...then i understand why you would be peed off....wear a hat your next outting? ... :dunno:

im folically deprived... :angry: ...now i feel better cuz im saving even more then the cost of shampoo...( reminds me )...try to talk the ole lady into a "Sinead O Connor" look again ..

Seriously though ...14 bucks???? everytime my wife goes it cost at least 50...maybe 60 now...but its money well spend if it makes her feel good...

on a side note ...do you think you didnt catch fish ...because of a terrible haircut...then i understand why you would be peed off....wear a hat your next outting? ... :dunno:

I've been told that the glare off my scalp frightens the fish. There's no way I'm smearing mud on my head to make my friends happy.

JF

I run a small business and so far I haven’t raised any of my pricing (yet) because of the HST but I feel we’ll have to.

Right off the top next year it’s going to cost me an extra $1500.00 to do business.

As a collector of PST we were given 5% of what we collected, up to $1500.00 a year for collecting and remitting the tax.

Well that’s now gone with the HST; but we still have the same work in collecting the tax and remitting it. (never did get anything for collecting, tracking and remitting GST)

Where else am I going to get this money back other then raising pricing.

The government wins all around; they’re not paying anyone for collecting the tax plus they’ll be getting extra tax form the increased pricing.

In my opinion all they (the government) are doing is making people think of doing something they haven’t done much of in a long time; black market, under the table dealings.

I get asked daily if I’m willing to not write an invoice for my labour and of course I say no; wouldn’t want to defraud the tax man now would I?????

Dan.

;):whistling:

Are you guys getting the fact that the government will never see this money? You, nor your loved ones will never likely benefit from what the barber takes in, cause he doesn't declare it.

Jim

Did you ask him to provide you a receipt for his services? Usually it's difficult for business not to declare income once they issue a receipt.

Geez!!! leave the poor barber alone. If I had to earn a living that way when I think of all the big money I've earned over the years contract mining in the north and all the money I've blown on wine and women, wait a minute, that money wasn't blown, it was spent wisely. It's the money spent on gas for the gas guzzling "Man" truck and the toys and the lottery tickents. Now if I could have all that back I would be living in the Bahamas full time. The poor barber, he is doing everything right no doubt, scrimping all his life and we sit on this site talking state of the art fishing rods and tackle and about our big boats and monster trucks to pull the little boats out of the wster after a full days fishing and slaying those little bass while going through fifty bucks worh of ackle and blog on about how hard we are done by while the barber is ripping us off. I wish I had become as money smart as the barber a long time ago.

I was sure that this thread was going to be about Perry Como.

OK. When I wuz a young feller I couldn't bring myself to be an Elvis fan so I combed my hair (I used to have it) like Perry Como. He did pretty well for a barber, huh?

JF

.....I wish I had become as money smart as the barber a long time ago.

Bingo!!

And ironically the book that got everyone hooked on investing back in the 80's was called "The Wealthy Barber". It was all about planning, saving, investing, and compounding (and having life insurance for some reason). When it should have been about getting rich by dealing only in cash, and not claiming it.

My niece and her now husband, put themselves through university (including accommodations) by bar tending and waitressing 2-3 days a week. (no, I don't hate them, and yes, they have lots of hair :blink: )

It may only be $14, but I had to earn close to double that to get the 14. I pay cash for as little as possible for that reason.

Jim

Bingo!!

And ironically the book that got everyone hooked on investing back in the 80's was called "The Wealthy Barber". It was all about planning, saving, investing, and compounding (and having life insurance for some reason). When it should have been about getting rich by dealing only in cash, and not claiming it.

My niece and her now husband, put themselves through university (including accommodations) by bar tending and waitressing 2-3 days a week. (no, I don't hate them, and yes, they have lots of hair :blink: )

It may only be $14, but I had to earn close to double that to get the 14. I pay cash for as little as possible for that reason.

Jim

Good for you. I'm sure your money is in much better hands with the government because we all know they don't ever waste or steal money :blahblah1:

Guest Johnny Bass

Small business owners will see an increased cost of doing business because of new taxes. They must adjust their prices in order to stay open.

Tax an item more and fewer people will buy it.

Ummm according to John Bacon? The HST will reduce their tax burden! So tell me again how they have to raise their prices to stay open when the gov said it would allow businesses to LOWER the price of their services/products.

On another note, I agree that $14 bucks is not much for a haircut but I see what he is getting at. Anyone that takes cash should be giving out receits if they want to charge tax.

Oh ok. Toronto angler. Basically your telling me that all small businesses are dishonest(which I already know) and that they have to be, to keep the doors open. That right there tells you how disfunctional our economy really is. If you have to be dishonest to run a business. You shouldn't be in business.

If you have to be dishonest to run a business. You shouldn't be in business.

Thats the whole point, business owners are above us other riff raff who just work for a living, it's ok if they rip us off, we deserve it for not being one of them.

Good for you. I'm sure your money is in much better hands with the government because we all know they don't ever waste or steal money :blahblah1:

Look, critical thinking is not for everyone. I mean you gave it a shot and it just didn't work out.

I am not entirely sure when this turned into a you and all of the barbers vs. me thing, but you might want to stick with the "how to rig a senko" threads in the future.

Good night Richard Cranium.

Jim

Thats the whole point, business owners are above us other riff raff who just work for a living, it's ok if they rip us off, we deserve it for not being one of them.

You need to meet my Mom. She's 93 now and sold the store years ago but after spending some time with her and talking to her neighbours you might rethink your cynicism towards business people.

Guys, you've gotta trust someone somewhere along the way or life's gonna be a big unhappy mess for you. Sure there's unscrupulous business operators, just like there's crooked lawyers, unethical doctors, irresponsible teachers, corner cutting labourers, and lying salesmen, even sneaky realtors. But by and large most working people in any trade or profession are inherently honest and responsible. The worst most can be accused of is laziness. We risk turning them all into cheating cynics if we're too judgmental of these people.

A certain amount of cynicism is healthy but when you let it become your basic philosophy you've lost the game.

JF

Look, critical thinking is not for everyone. I mean you gave it a shot and it just didn't work out.

I am not entirely sure when this turned into a you and all of the barbers vs. me thing, but you might want to stick with the "how to rig a senko" threads in the future.

Good night Richard Cranium.

Jim

Stick to telling kids to stay off your lawn

Blarg: i am not sure where u are coming from with that statement but rest assured, as a small business owner off and on since 1994, I have been ripped off royally by a couple of employees. One so bad that it tipped me in to bankruptcy.

On the other hand, I have had some great employees who to this day we are friends with each other as our lives have taken different paths.

Don;t for a second think that small business owners are out to rip you off anymore than you are out to rip them off. ;)

Blarg: i am not sure where u are coming from with that statement but rest assured, as a small business owner off and on since 1994, I have been ripped off royally by a couple of employees. One so bad that it tipped me in to bankruptcy.

On the other hand, I have had some great employees who to this day we are friends with each other as our lives have taken different paths.

Don;t for a second think that small business owners are out to rip you off anymore than you are out to rip them off. ;)

Splashhopper -> I just wish some of these do-gooders tried to run their own business and see how easy it is and how many times they wouldn't accept cash so they can actually pay themselves that week. Too many ppl spout off without walking in other peoples shoes.