Buzz-Frogs etc...Tips and Hints

Garry2Rs

For the past three years I have had success fishing Yum Buzz Frogs, Rage Tail Toads, and many of their cousins from other manufacturers.

1-1.jpg

My experience wasn't quite an instant success. Like everything else there was a learning curve. To save you the growing pains here are my Quick-Tips for anyone who is just starting to use these great baits.

First, here's the technical side of the story.

After much trial, error, experimentation and expense, I am now using 4/0 Mustad Ultra Point 32826BLN jig hooks. I added a stainless steel corkscrew that snaps through the 45 degree eye. I bought the hooks and screws from Barlow's, an on-line tackle making supplies place in the States. When assembled, this give me a unit that's quite similar to those expensive Owner Screw-Lock hooks.

3-1.jpg

The corkscrew holds the solid body frog/toad to the eye of the hook. It can't slide down the shank and ball-up blocking the hook point. It also stops the bait from getting torn or thrown off by a fish.

Although the hook had worn a groove in my toad, before the musky hit on Saturday, with this set-up one toad might have lasted me all day. The Musky tore the bait in half, but the head was still securely attached to the corkscrew.

2-1.jpg

These toads are fished fairly fast, like a buzz-bait, not with a slow twitch like a hollow body Skum-Frog etc. The bait will sometimes roll over on the retrieve. When it does I give the rod tip a quick pop...If that doesn't roll it back over, I keep cranking. They seem to work either way.

Last year I decided that for toads/frogs etc. I preferred a casting rod. Part of that was for the hook-set but mostly in was the amount of weed you sometimes have to move to drag-in the fish.

Since this is a reaction bait, and the cover is heavy, I am using 20# Mono. I keep most of the line off the water with a high rod tip. However as the bait gets closer and the rod tip comes down, the buoyant mono helps the bait ride high. Thirty or forty pound braid would work just as well, but the thicker mono turned out to be a bonus when the unexpected Musky hit.

This is a big-fish bait. Dinks will come up and grab a leg, dragging the bait under, but fish over a pound will swallow it whole!

When fishing these toads, if you get a hit but no hook-up, stop reeling. I have seen two or three bass following the bait. Very often the smallest fish rushes ahead and hits the toad without hooking up. If you stop reeling and let the bait hang dead-in-the-water the biggest fish might grab it. I have seen this several times. In fact we caught a five pounder last year that way. I was coaching the clients girlfriend and saw the whole thing unfold through my Polarized lenses.

JayandMary004-1.jpg

One last thought on using baits that attract big fish, and a tip of the hat...

Most of the lakes I fish have musky in them, but when I'm bass fishing, I don't carry a net. However, I always carry Knipex hook cutters and a Boca Grip in my tool locker.

4.jpg

With the musky we caught on Saturday, Albert did the honours, and although he had never used a Boca Grip before he locked onto the toothy critters lower jaw on the first try...Good Work Albert!

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

excellent timing on this Garry.

I was trying this type of frog for the first time last night after I lost my one and only Scum Frog to an unexpected pike. :wallbash:

I was having one helluva time keeping the frog on my offset hook due to the mat's I was fishing and really getting jammed up in the lily pads.

I hope to post a pic or two in the next couple days with this "new set up".

Thanks again.

I always appreciate your informative posts.

Splashhopper

This is a big-fish bait. Dinks will come up and grab a leg, dragging the bait under, but fish over a pound will swallow it whole!

Except for that determined little Rock bass I caught when we were out, the day we went like 40 miles back in the weedy bay and got both motors wound up in weeds. I set the hook so hard the little fart flew about 40' through the air. When I got him aboard the toad's little footies were sticking out the Rock bass's butt (well, they shoulda been) and the shank of the hook was stickin' outa his mouth. The hook wasn't even set. He was just wedged around the froggy. So it's not always a big fish bait. Sometimes the fish are just big thinkers.

JF

When I tried fishing the yum buzz frogs they kept rolling over and spinning and drove me nuts so I gave up. prolly cause I was using braid instead on mono, Good Tips Gary!

-Ben

Hi Ben;

Braid is fine.

Hold the rod tip up to lift as much line as possible off the water.

Keep cranking...Don't worry about the bait rolling over.

Hi Ben;

Braid is fine.

Hold the rod tip up to lift as much line as possible off the water.

Keep cranking...Don't worry about the bait rolling over.

When I was using 30lb PP with my rod tip high and a 5/0 EWG Superline hook the frog spinned like a mepps, I wasn't worried about the line on the water though...maybe that was the problem, Mono sounds like a good idea though since it floats, so I'm thinking it would probably help. I shouldn't worry about it rolling over? really? It pisses me off seeing the baits rolling around lol, thats why I gave up.

-Ben

Great tips there Garry2R's, looks like I got to make another trip out to BPS for MORE TACKLE :( gee thanks :lol:

Any suggestions as to what colours you would recommend? Seems like you prefer fairly natural hues, although I've seen people use all white ones that catch fish as well. I understand this is a reaction bait so perhaps colour is not so important?

Appreciate your thoughts on this, these tips are friggin awesome!

Cheers

young one, just something to consider, if the dinks are trying to eat the frog? a 4/0-5/0 hook is no problem? It is better to wait until you feel the fishes weight on the line to set the hook. In thick weeds their aim can be as bad as some humans. Mustad also makes an unweighted hook in the same style as the old Mr. Twister keeper hooks, a barbed push in point attached to the hook eye, they also work well. The weighted ones might act as a keel to prevent roll overs? only like 1/16th or 1/8 ounce, not enough weight to make keeping it on the surface a problem.

As usual Garry, good tips.

Thanks for sharing your learning curve! I've always been intregued by these baits and love topwater stuff, I think you just put me over the edge and I'm going to have to try them with your tips in mind. Thanks again for sharing.

I was lucky enuf to get out with Garry and get the lesson first hand. It sure got me hooked on frogs (no pun intended). Now I find myself looking for weeds instead of avoiding them. :worthy:

JF