I'm BACK!

Had a busy spring working on the house, but things are shaping up and bass season is OPEN so you guys should be seeing a lot more of me around here.

Was working on the boat and gear until 1:30 a.m. Blew a tire on my lawn tractor which was parked in front of the boat, so I had to change the tire... Letme tell you, getting a tire on and off a rim with only screwdrivers isn't easy!

903c0d65.jpg

Started the morning off waking up at 3 a.m. - Had the alarm set for 3:15 seeing as I was up so late but was woken by a text message from Dan Bouck... He slept in his boat down at the lake the night before and was hopped up on red bulls! haha Thanks for the wake up call bud... to bad we didn't end up meeting up!

34462_400338101579_502461579_499628.jpg

My partner was 45 minutes late and I would've whopped him but there was already a line up of boats at the launch at 4 a.m. so not a huge deal. Jason get's there and we're running out on to long point bay just in time to see the sunrise behind the clouds....

37418_400338176579_502461579_499628.jpg

34283_400338206579_502461579_499628.jpg

20853_400338216579_502461579_499628.jpg

Jay was up drinking with his older brother by the fire until 3 a.m. so he was half out of it when he was dropped off in the morning! lol

30475_400338186579_502461579_499628.jpg

First we hit up a spot I found last october and was dying to fish this spring... sure enough it held a crap load of fish....nothing huge, but lots of decent fish. I caught mostly largies, and a couple of smallies on this spot. Largies were on a flippin' jig and smallies hammered an x-rap! Best part, I was THE ONLY BOAT within' sight fishing here.. If you look over my right shoulder you can see the herd of boats way off in the distance! muhahahaha :ninja:

37013_400338256579_502461579_499629.jpg

Jason...well - he missed two fish, then broke off, and when we was re-tying he tied his spinnerbait onto a loose piece of line, not his rod, then threw it overboard and watched it sink! hahaha :clapping:

After about an hour the spot died down and we moved out towards the thousands of boats near the mouth of the inner bay...

35553_400338281579_502461579_499629.jpg

I, and I say I for a reason, put on a short clinic in front of the local live bait anglers using a good old tube jig! Again, nothing huge, but some decent fish and it was nice to be hunting smallies again! We quickly got sick of being surrounded by boats so we moved to the outer bay into bigger emptier water and caught some fish of our own.

37350_400338301579_502461579_499629.jpg

Jay was hung over and slow on the trigger so after missing a dozen or so fish he finally made it onto the board and made his only contribution for the day! lol :thumbsup_anim: To his defence he had never fished a tube jib before, and sometimes newbies (including myself) have a hard time knowing the difference between a rock, weed or fish. I was setting hte hook on everything..... lol and landed a few weeds, but quite a few fish as well.

34443_400338321579_502461579_499629.jpg

Called it a day at around 1:00 as we were whooped but it was damn nice to get out on the water again!

Next weekend it's off to visit my parents in Sudbury, but I'll be back out on the bay in 2 weeks!

have a good work week!

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

nice report

that boat looks vaguely familiar...

Thanks dude - It does? :whistling:

I wasn't hopped up on them lol How was the ride back in?

haha Sorry Dan didn't mean that in a bad way - just crackin' a joke. I could have used a few red bulls myself! The ride back in from the outer bay? or just home from the lake? My butt cheeks are still killin' me from bouncing around on the aluminum corner bench seat (need to buys padded seats)and I had a hard time keeping the eyes open on my way home...good thing it's just down the road!

Good job, when in doubt, set the hook. Hook sets are free.

Yeah I learnt that fishing with Dave Mercer - He taught me to fish a tube jig, and if he hadn't I guarantee I would have a caught a lot less fish on opener!

Nice work Ryan, but your friend Jay looks like a hurting unit.

Tell him to stay away from those camp fires!

The smoke makes your eyes red and your head ache.

HAHAHA.

lol - I to suffer from effects of camp fires from time to time, but I know enough to stay away from them the night before bass opener!

nice gear you have!

Thanks dude!

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

haha Sorry Dan didn't mean that in a bad way - just crackin' a joke. I could have used a few red bulls myself! The ride back in from the outer bay? or just home from the lake? My butt cheeks are still killin' me from bouncing around on the aluminum corner bench seat (need to buys padded seats)and I had a hard time keeping the eyes open on my way home...good thing it's just down the road!

I meant the ride on the bay. My drive home was brutal, I almost stopped to sleep for a bit but managed to get home. I should have stayed at the cottage.

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like a great opener. I've been itching to throw out the jig and pig and tubes. There was a time I thought tubes and spinner baits couldn't catch fish.lol

Camp fires are killers.. lol.. great report!!

haha yeah Tj - I'm heading to Sudbury this weekend and plan on attending a couple of northern ontario camp fires myself!

I meant the ride on the bay. My drive home was brutal, I almost stopped to sleep for a bit but managed to get home. I should have stayed at the cottage.

dude - you drove home?!? I'd live at the cootage on weekends if I were you!

sounds like a great day. nice work! :Gonefishing:

Thanks dude - hard to beat any day out on the water..

Sounds like a great opener. I've been itching to throw out the jig and pig and tubes. There was a time I thought tubes and spinner baits couldn't catch fish.lol

I hear ya Johnny...I grew up dragging an in line spinner with worms, minnow's or leeches for smallies and walleye up north. Never really touched a lure until I moved to London for college. I have nothing against live bait, I'm just to lazy to deal with it! lol Gulp minnows live a little longer! :thumbsup_anim: